Air gun novice in need of advice!

Longchalk

I thought so too ;)

Been having trouble trying to post pics of some terrific groups with the new springer :| just thought the OP could see there is no real need to go PCP if the budget is tight as they tend to be a bit more fiddly to keep running too.

ps. I've e-mailed the mobile images to myself, save them to files, click on them to attach when in the (more reply options) but keep being told no file has been selected :oops: any ideas ?

Edited by Hamster

It sounds to me like the cheapest option, to start with, is to check the torque of all the nuts and bolts. There used to be selection packs of pellets available to test, I believe pellpax used to sell them (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) and it would be worth trying some different types to eliminate the pellets being the issue. Then report back.

Just an update for the (possible) interest of the various members who kindly offered advice regarding my problems with the troublesome Lightning XL.

Removing the moderator did not seem to make any improvement, and although I didn't get as far as trying different pellets, I did decide what I think the problem really was. I'm pretty sure the recoil was so extreme that it was continually knocking the scope out of zero. A quick phone chat with Tony Wall at Sandwell Field Sports confirmed that it was not really cost effective to attempt to tune a modern Spanish built Lightening, so I have as, as some folks suggested first off..... 'Binned it and bought a Wiehrauch '.... :rolleyes::/:rolleyes:

I am now the happy owner of an HW95, and the comparison between firing the two is hard to exaggerate. It took me all of 2 shots on Tony's indoor range, to realise that though not dissimilarly priced when new, they are like chalk and cheese. The lightning bucks like a mule and twangs like a banjo, whereas the HW95.. is just, well....Smooooooooth. And very quiet.

The Lighting has gone ( albeit at some considerable financial loss, which I am putting down as a learning experience) and I am now looking forward to committing german-powered bunnycide very soon.

But my thanks to everyone here who gave advice, or PM'd me with offers to lend me a different scope, or to shoot other guns to compare with..... PW at its best.

Edited by Longchalk

A great choice , did they tune it for you ? , if not get it done in the future , it will take it to a whole new level.

Best of all , buying a springer as I pointed out earlier means your not gay :lol: Evo will be along soon to disagree but take no notice , he is probably wearing a dress as he types :lol:

( I hope he has a sense of humour )

Not tuned, but taken apart, checked over, thoroughly oiled and put back together again. They reckon Wiehrauch make excellent guns but they are a bit stingy on the lube.

A proper tune would have blown my admittedly fairly tight budget, but they suggested seeing how I get on with it, put a tin of pellets through it to wear it in, then go back if I'm not grouping tighter than a gnat's nadger.

Edited by Longchalk

A great choice , did they tune it for you ? , if not get it done in the future , it will take it to a whole new level.

Best of all , buying a springer as I pointed out earlier means your not gay :lol: Evo will be along soon to disagree but take no notice , he is probably wearing a dress as he types :lol:

( I hope he has a sense of humour )

:lol::lol: :lol: that did make oy larrrffff :lol::lol: :lol: :good:

atb Evo

I shoot springers and PCP.

I also miss my little BSA xl in 22. A few years ago and skint that rifle got my scores of rabbit to sell!

Yes I did have to fiddle with it. Polished the cylinder and piston. Greased the spring and most importantly increase the clearance in the silencer as the pellet was very very close. Accuracy was restored.

In 177 Bisley magnums rarely shoot bad in any air gun!

The thing I miss most is how the stock fitted me and although I avoided rested shots it would still shoot rested but only I would be touching the stock!

The OP said when prone the scope is too far away, this indicates a bad positioning of the body and probably contributing to poor grouping.

Never go off one pellet!

bsa002.jpg

Edited by Underdog