what scope

andrew f

Not much point having a 4-16 when he wants a 1-10 which would imply he wants a 1x for close range or moving targets

Am using a 6 x now, although often replace with bigger and better in the endless search. I usually take the cheap 6x

along for the ride when out at night and so far has always ended up on the gun , usually quite soon after the session has started

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mistake, i was referring to the current conversation with Joe soapy which i thought you were following

No problem.

Actually, I can't believe what I wrote but it's true. Sold the long range VX111 when I sold the 223. Got a Genesis for the Hornet which I then got to replace the 223. Very good scope for the money but I found the reticle too fine for the lamp (old eyes) so put it on the HMR when I bought that and it's ideally suited. Didn't then know what to put on the Hornet so tried the Leapers that was on the LR. Oppo couldn't believe the brightness or the clarity compared to his VX111, but emphasize that this was in daylight. Usually leave it on 7/8 except, perhaps, when having a pot at a rabbit and can't fault it. The Hornet chucks out 850 ft/lbs so it might just be OK on a 223. Out to 200 with the lamp which is about my absolute limit is no problem. Being well into the cheap and cheerful range, I understand that these can be a bit of a hit or miss - perhaps I got lucky and mine is a 'hit'.

:lol::lol: A tad more than £300..

Have a look through one if you can, i have a VX3 that i am happy with, not seen the one you mention, but they generally have decent review

I am terrible like a kid in a candy shop :innocent: decide spend some money and stop being cheap.

Edited by andrew f

Its not so much people falsely bigging up their own kit, its the fact that many fail to consider we all shoot very differently and the subtle needs from out kit are different. Im fortunate in that i see and hear from shooters all over the land and no two do it the same lol. I personally have NEVER shot a fox from a vehicle for example, i do appreciate its requirements though ( i have shot

Plenty of bunnies from one) ha

It was the sport, drive round the roads , lampman on the back searching the fields as we went, do 30 miles on a good night.

Foxes were plentiful and worth £20.. we knew exactly where to find a fox,shoot it and another would take over the territory within a couple

of weeks.Pre mixy the fields were full of targets. Had a relative turn up with a 22, Uncle had to go with horse and cart to fetch dead rabbits.

They had a parish fox shoot on one boxing day and got over a 100.

Cover the same ground now and be lucky to see a fox and many fields never see a rabbit in them,, Think the hmr is doing as much damage as mixy now!!!