Chickens

ashcmt

Just wondering if anyone knows a little bit about chicken health matters.

Got two hens in the back garden, had them for about a year now, no problems what so ever. However the last few weeks one of them has been funny and they have both stopped laying. The problem hen, seemed to be having her malt, but she dropped loads and loads and loads of feathers, just the other day. The other hen however has dropped none and is in tip top condition. The problem hen doesnt seem to be gettin any feathers back, the feathers have thinned out mainly at the base of her neck, and just behind her head.

They arnt weezing, gasping etc, and all the droppings are normal. none of the symptoms correspond to lice etc etc, i'm abit puzzled, mum is in the process of getting hold of her vet, but was just wondering if anybody had any experience with chickens and could help me out.

Cheers fellas

Ash

I used to give ours Cod Liver Oil during their moult, and sometimes if they are going broody they can loose feathers. To be honest if she is still eating and seems happy I would wait and see if she picks up in the spring. They do go off laying if there isnt sufficient light to stimulate them, you could try a light bulb in the coop. Is she clucking with a 'clock clock' sound and are her wings by her side?

I used to give ours Cod Liver Oil during their moult, and sometimes if they are going broody they can loose feathers. To be honest if she is still eating and seems happy I would wait and see if she picks up in the spring. They do go off laying if there isnt sufficient light to stimulate them, you could try a light bulb in the coop. Is she clucking with a 'clock clock' sound and are her wings by her side?

thanks for the reply.

will get some cod liver oil for their water tomorow, her wings are by her side, and she is reluctant for me to go near her, she is usually the most friendly of the two. will sit outside for an hour with them tomoro and she how she's clucking.

cheers bud,

Ash

They get crotchety when they are broody - try and see if she will sit on some china eggs - if she is a pure breed there is a likelyhood of her going broody more than the cross breeds. If she hasnt got access to the nest during the day try and make a small dark area with the eggs for her to sit on -We have one that will always have to turned off the clutch of eggs at the end of the day - and she pecks at you whilst you try and move her - but shes not properly broody because she isnt consistent. Once the wings go down and the tail is low its likely that she is broody - but also there is a chance she isnt well. So good luck. Keeps us informed.Regards Al.

I used to give ours Cod Liver Oil during their moult, and sometimes if they are going broody they can loose feathers. To be honest if she is still eating and seems happy I would wait and see if she picks up in the spring. They do go off laying if there isnt sufficient light to stimulate them, you could try a light bulb in the coop. Is she clucking with a 'clock clock' sound and are her wings by h er side?

thanks for the reply.

will get some cod liver oil for their water tomorow, her wings are by her side, and she is reluctant for me to go near her, she is usually the most friendly of the two. will sit outside for an hour with them tomoro and she how she's clucking.

cheers bud,

Ash

They get crotchety when they are broody - try and see if she will sit on some china eggs - if she is a pure breed there is a likelyhood of her going broody more than the cross breeds. If she hasnt got access to the nest during the day try and make a small dark area with the eggs for her to sit on -We have one that will always have to turned off the clutch of eggs at the end of the day - and she pecks at you whilst you try and move her - but shes not properly broody because she isnt consistent. Once the wings go down and the tail is low its likely that she is broody - but also there is a chance she isnt well. So good luck. Keeps us informed.Regards Al.

I used to give ours Cod Liver Oil during their moult, and sometimes if they are going broody they can loose feathers. To be honest if she is still eating and seems happy I would wait and see if she picks up in the spring. They do go off laying if there isnt sufficient light to stimulate them, you could try a light bulb in the coop. Is she clucking with a 'clock clock' sound and are her wings by h er side?

thanks for the reply.

cheers bud,

Ash

YEP I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBS WITH A COUPLE OF MY HENS AND DONE THE ABOVE (CURED)

thanks for the reply.

cheers bud,

Ash

YEP I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBS WITH A COUPLE OF MY HENS AND DONE THE ABOVE (CURED)

Just wondering if anyone knows a little bit about chicken health matters.

Got two hens in the back garden, had them for about a year now, no problems what so ever. However the last few weeks one of them has been funny and they have both stopped laying. The problem hen, seemed to be having her malt, but she dropped loads and loads and loads of feathers, just the other day. The other hen however has dropped none and is in tip top condition. The problem hen doesnt seem to be gettin any feathers back, the feathers have thinned out mainly at the base of her neck, and just behind her head.

They arnt weezing, gasping etc, and all the droppings are normal. none of the symptoms correspond to lice etc etc, i'm abit puzzled, mum is in the process of getting hold of her vet, but was just wondering if anybody had any experience with chickens and could help me out.

Cheers fellas

Ash

Hi Ash have you looked at the lower breast area and between her legs, has she plucked out these feathers? If so she has just gone broody and nothing to worry about health wise, you could sit her on some hard boiled eggs? All the best D2D :lol:

she certainly isnt short of protein as i caught her stealing the cats food in the most ingenious way yesterday, will post pictures soon, little blighter lol

put cod liver oil in their water, golf palls in the coop, she was sat on them this morning, other one was wondering what she was doing lol

we sit and wait!

thanks a lot for the adivce guys,

Ash

One word of advice......

PAXO

;) :( :P Only you!

Ashcmt sounds pretty normal to me. Leave her be and most likely she'll come good again. You can usually tell if chickens or for that matter any animal isn't well (even us humans), they just slow down and look sick! Mostly with birds they don't recover and simply keel over one night. Natures way and hey it beats the nursing home <_< Oh and don't panic you're a long way from Bernard Matthews in Lowestoft ???

i use dto keep em ,

when they stopped laying id just thow every thing in there, fish & chip scraps, bags of builders sand, fruit /veg from the grocers clean out, left over from the resterant...the lot

dunno what it was but as sure as ...........they'd start laying again... :good:

the bald patches may come froma bossy hen, they beat the sh17 outa each other ..bit like dogs after 1 bowl of grub..& pluck each other... :/

That looks like moult. They will go into moult every winter unless they are kept inside and kept warm with lots of light. And just a word of advice.... after about 10 months they start to get tough and unpleasant to eat. I would leave her to ge her feathers back, which will probably happen in the spring.

Something else that could effect her may be bullying, by the other hen.

QS