Freezing meat

30-6

What is the exact procedure for freezing pigeon and rabbit?

I tend to eat or give away my meat fresh, because when I freeze it , it comes out looking full of ice crystals and un-pleasing to the eye.

I wash away the blood etc., but try to drain it as dry as possible, have tried it in plastic containers, foil and cling film and am aware not to put it directly in contact with the frost in the freezer.

What am I doing wrong?

What is the exact procedure for freezing pigeon and rabbit?

I tend to eat or give away my meat fresh, because when I freeze it , it comes out looking full of ice crystals and un-pleasing to the eye.

I wash away the blood etc., but try to drain it as dry as possible, have tried it in plastic containers, foil and cling film and am aware not to put it directly in contact with the frost in the freezer.

What am I doing wrong?

Hi this is how I have always frozen all types of game without problems, it may help, joint, wash then just pat dry with kitchen roll, place on flat tray so not touching each other, leave in freezer box for just long enough to get hard,max 1 hr, then put in proper freezer bags, remove air as H says with a straw, bag should now contain seperate joints individually frozen for ease of use later. shelf life max couple of months.

It does sound as though your meat has freezer burn caused by exposure to air/frost in freezer, I hope this helps as nothing more disheartening than obtaining good meat then not getting it to the table.D2D <_<

this is how I do it.

1) Kill it

2)Leave to hang for a day or so (whole if birds, Rabbits paunched when shot)

3)Skin and dress ready for the oven.

4)Leave overnight in a dish to drain last of water and blood.

5)Put in a freezer bat and remove all the air.

6) Sometime later (can be 1 month upto 1 year) remove when asked my her indoors.

7)leave to defrost.

8)She does her magic here

9)Eat.

• 2 years later...