BSA airsporter...!!!!

ditchman

I have both funnily enough!

The tap was the original design and probably the stronger of the two, you lift a little lever which turns a cylinder which has a hole to drop the pellet into, then turn it back to make it ready to fire. They leaked though so weren't efficient or consistent especially when they were worn.

The rb2 has a large cylinder which rotates at the end of the cylinder where air is compressed. You open it to reveal a machined groove to slide the pellet down into the end of the barrel. It's a more accurate design in my opinion but it gets smacked by the piston each shot which eventually ruins the seals on the rotating bit along with the grooves they are fitted into.

I have both funnily enough!

The tap was the original design and probably the stronger of the two, you lift a little lever which turns a cylinder which has a hole to drop the pellet into, then turn it back to make it ready to fire. They leaked though so weren't efficient or consistent especially when they were worn.

The rb2 has a large cylinder which rotates at the end of the cylinder where air is compressed. You open it to reveal a machined groove to slide the pellet down into the end of the barrel. It's a more accurate design in my opinion but it gets smacked by the piston each shot which eventually ruins the seals on the rotating bit along with the grooves they are fitted into.

can you still get new seals for it.......and for lubrication i have heard of people using graphite powder....any mileage in that ?

thank you for explaining the breech principle so well....i know exactly what you mean now

For the rb2? They're only "o" rings but if the grooves are too squashed or damaged, you'd need the aluminium breech bit too. Sorry, no idea if you can get them. If you find somewhere that sells them, can you let me know please? Mine ' s definitely seen better days.

I think with both the problem is dirt; the wear to the tap and the damage to the Rb2's breech. So graphite powder might be a good idea, as well as good maintenance and cleaning.

I still love mine though, I used to shoot groups the size of 3 pellets with the RB2 at 30 yds (.177).

One final note though, my rb2 got through a lot of scopes over the years. The recoil ' s a bit on the harsh side.

The reason i asked ..is that our local weekly sale room has an air rifle section, and i would like to keep my eye out for a webley-BSA tap-BSA RB...but it would be pointless if they couldnt be repaired..................my mate had a BSA rb and i had a webley mk3...i think his was the better rifle.....i would just like a little project, and have something decent at the end of it

cheers

ditch

The reason i asked ..is that our local weekly sale room has an air rifle section, and i would like to keep my eye out for a webley-BSA tap-BSA RB...but it would be pointless if they couldnt be repaired..................my mate had a BSA rb and i had a webley mk3...i think his was the better rifle.....i would just like a little project, and have something decent at the end of it

cheers

ditch

If yo want a project gun look out for a HW spring gun 77, 95,80, or 97.

To be honest the airsporters never were a great gun compared to any of those HW's

Hi ditchman

I had an Airsporter RB2 Carbine but have just swapped it with a mate for a pistol!!

I have a couple of Superstars, they are very able guns and smooth as silk, Theyre RB2 loading as well..

This is the RB2 Airsporter, No loading tap where there is normally one!!

rifleairsporterRB2a.jpg

This is a normal tap loading Airsporter mk6..

BSAAirsportermk6a_zps5cad2748.jpg

This is a Superstar..

riflebSAsuperstar-1-1.jpg

And this is the rotary breech (In the open position)..

ass7.jpg

The rotary breech (to me!) Feels much safer than the sliding breech of the HW77/97 and TX200 etc as it can't chomp off the finger and thumb whilst loading a p3ellet if anything fails :good:

John :)