Beat 1 Stand 1 £50

Opportunity for 3/4 guns, ideally with dogs, but not essential, on our syndicate located near Chirk, N.Wales (post code LL14) this Saturday Jan 3rd. It will be a beat 1 stand 1. 5 possibly 6 drives. Very good chance of woodcock, but mainly pheasant, expected bag between 25/35. £50.00 No overages. Bring your own lunch. Anyone interested please PM me. Cheers. Dafydd.

Edited by dafydd1983

Just a quick report of the day, PW members 'russyd' and 'wildfowler12' joined us for today's shoot on a beat 1 stand 1 basis. We managed 5 drives for the day and as we were low on guns I managed to squeeze the guests in for 4 drives and beat 1. Final bag for the day was 29 pheasant and 1 woodcock with close to 200 shots fired. Two great lads who were very appreciative and a pleasure to have with us.

Having shot at Daf's ground previously I jumped at the chance to take one of the guns today, and as per, I wasn't disappointed.

On arrival me and 'Russdy' were given fresh coffee and a bacon roll, and after a bit of a meet and greet, Daf and his dad talked us through the proceedings. We were supposed to be walking one, standing one, but due to a low number of guns, Daf said it was likely that we'll do more standing than beating.

The first drive saw a steady number of high birds, driven out of a steep wood and over a narrow track. From my peg they were difficult to see coming (excuse no.1 - haha), and my shot to kill ratio backed this up. 2 birds for 9 shots, one of which was finished by Russdy, as i'd only pricked it and it would likely have given the dogs a good run around. After the drive Russ kindly offered some advice having watched me shoot. He said I was taking the birds far too late, directly over me, and inevitably any second shot was some 20odd yards behind my shoulders. Take them out in front he said...

Well with Russdy's words fresh in my ears, the second drive proved to be much more fruitful. I managed to take 6 cock birds cleanly. 4 out in front and 2 reasonable crossers, for 11 shots this time, a MUCH better ratio. Many thanks for the advice mate :good:

With 8 birds to my name I had had my fill and told Daf I was happy to beat for the rest of the day. He remained adamant that I'd have more shooting to do, but did let me beat the 3rd drive. I enjoyed this as much as the shooting.

We stopped for lunch and a drop of Port in the shoot hut next. The stove was roaring and we where again offered hot drinks. Plenty of banter was flying around and I had a good chat with a couple of friendly guns.

The 4th drive displayed the highest birds, some pushing 50yards. Only one came over my way (standing again!), which myself and Russ both shot at, and both tried to claim! It dropped in the fast flowing river and I suspect a few guns thought we'd loose it, but I sent the dog for it anyway, and the Wildfowler in him fetched it back no bother. The video ref was consulted later in the night, and the dubious goals panel credited Russ with the bird, though I suspect I helped it down ;)

The 5th and final drive saw plenty more birds. This time Daf had asked us to be walking guns, and shoot any birds that broke wide. As there were guns either side of me I didn't bother raising the barrels, despite 4 of 5 coming straight over.

I have to say that if anybody is considering booking a day with Daf, don't hesitate! He looks after his guests and puts them in the right places.

Many thanks again for having me, please pass on my best to your dad and the rest of the syndicate members, you'll certainly see me again :good:

Edited by Wildfowler12

WELSH ANDY off the forum took us up on a "beat 1 shoot 1" day today, he assures me he had a good day! His first experience of a driven pheasant shoot, I'm sure it's wet his appetite for more! Total bag for the day was 40 pheasant and 9 woodcock for just short of 230 shots.

Hopefully the link works!

http://s87.photobucket.com/user/Dafydd-1983/Shooting/story

Edited by dafydd1983