692 and GMK

Chris_S

My 692 which is less than a year old went back to GMK as the barrels didn't align properly and the forend latch was faulty. After wasting time and money shooting/investigating/patterning I spoke to GMK who said they would put it right quickly and also add some extra cast which was needed free of charge to make amends. This was nice to hear.

Later, they then said that if it was faulty they may need to send the gun back to Italy which was concerning... and that only some people get cast added for free

Now, they have said that they will replace the gun with one that isn't faulty (hopefully) but that I need to pay for the free good will gesture...

Am I right in thinking they should do the good will gesture for free as I've been without my (relatively expensive) gun for a while and they initially said it would be free?

I also saw a CG gun in a shop yesterday which looks like a much more solid gun and its half the price so I am thinking of ditching Beretta, does anyone know what the CG service is like?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have offered to replace it with a new one, this constitutes a fresh solution and so I believe they're being fair in wanting to charge for cast work which is nothing to do with a new gun.

You can insist on the old gun being repaired ( I wouldn't) and keep to the original offer.

How can you ditch the gun without loosing some money ? The CG is indeed a good gun at a good price but so is the Beretta.

Edited by Hamster

I was talking to someone at Gunsite on Sunday who was full of praise for the service he got from Anglo-Italian. Haven't heard or read anything negative as yet. As for GMK it's still a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand's doing.

Being taken over by Beretta may not bode well for customer service...

Edited by Westward

I am beretta through and through however i will say that I would not buy one of the current 692 models i know plenty who own one and without problems.but I just don't not like the feel of them.when it comes down to it you can get a very good used dt10 or a 687eell for just a little more then you know you have a proven

Gun.I have only ever had cause to return a gun to gmk for some work on one occasion and will say that I was easily able to speak to the workshop manager who took loads of time listening to what I had to say took it on board replaced more than I asked for and returned the gun to me within a week. So in my case gmk showed excellent customer service. I can only speak as I find.

Edited by bostonmick

I am beretta through and through however i will say that I would not buy one of the current 692 models i know plenty who own one and without problems.but I just don't not like the feel of them.when it comes down to it you can get a very good used dt10 or a 687eell for just a little more then you know you have a proven

Gun.I have only ever had cause to return a gun to gmk for some work on one occasion and will say that I was easily able to speak to the workshop manager who took loads of time listening to what I had to say took it on board replaced more than I asked for and returned the gun to me within a week. So in my case gmk showed excellent customer service. I can only speak as I find.

Agreed, I just don't think Beretta have got the package right with the 692, weight, feel, appearance plus of course there is no excuse for getting so many quality issues.

I too have had perfectly acceptable service from Gunmark and GMK but lately too many people complain of being dissatisfied.

I am beretta through and through

I was too for 7 or 8 years but Beretta really needs to start smelling the coffee. At best the 692 is pretty uninspiring in the looks department and the avoidable QA problems on the early ones must have cost them business. CG has 5 choices of competition gun in the £2-3K (dealer) price band and every one is better specified, better finished and better presented than the 692.

As for GMK I've found them fairly helpful but amateurish, rather like the staff at the local council. For example I rang up to register the warranty on my last new Beretta and a friendly young lady took the details etc. A few weeks later I got a confirmation letter. When I rang them after nearly 3 years to inquire about having something done under warranty they told me that, according to their records, the warranty had never been registered.

A week later I bought a CG.

Edited by Westward

I was too for 7 or 8 years but Beretta really needs to start smelling the coffee. At best the 692 is pretty uninspiring in the looks department and the avoidable QA problems on the early ones must have cost them business. CG has 5 choices of competition gun in the £2-3K (dealer) price band and every one is better specified, better finished and better presented than the 692.

As for GMK I've found them fairly helpful but amateurish, rather like the staff at the local council. For example I rang up to register the warranty on my last new Beretta and a friendly young lady took the details etc. A few weeks later I got a confirmation letter. When I rang them after nearly 3 years to inquire about having something done under warranty they told me that, according to their records, the warranty had never been registered.

A week later I bought a CG.

I am a forty years beretta user seen a lot come and go. Yes I agree there 692 was not inspiring. If you had a letter confirming your warranty then I can see no problem whatever they said an easily sorted oversight can't see why that would make you buy another make a week later though.Atb

Agreed, I just don't think Beretta have got the package right with the 692, weight, feel, appearance plus of course there is no excuse for getting so many quality issues.

I too have had perfectly acceptable service from Gunmark and GMK but lately too many people complain of being dissatisfied.

I have no problem with people complaining about service with any company. Provided the complaint is justified. Any engineered product will have failures regardless of what it is or how much it cost.I complained when a car that i bought for just over 45k spent the first twelve weeks of its life back at the dealers but that's life i suppose.the op has been offered a new replacement so I can't see any complaint there.as for the cast issue if he had not had a problem with the gun he would have had to pay for alterations at his own cost wherever he went.in the end he had a problem they rectified this. Edited by bostonmick

If you had a letter confirming your warranty then I can see no problem whatever they said an easily sorted oversight can't see why that would make you buy another make a week later though.Atb

Well it wasn't just that.. During 2014 I talked to lots of people and tried loads of different guns - Perazzis, DT10s, several CGs, Blaser, a K80 and even a Kolar. My conclusion was that Beretta is being left behind. To keep on regurgitating parts bin specials like the SP 1 or 686 EVO is all very well but they can't go on doing it forever. The SV10 platform is the basis for the 692 which is a bit of a Marmite gun and also the new "Super Secret" 690 sporter which costs £600 more than it should and has been in the shops for weeks, despite no announcements and no information on any Beretta sites. And why does the 690 sporter come with game scenes, flush chokes and no 32" option?

They don't seem to have a clue!

im in a current dispute with my local gun shop and GMK with regards to my 1301 'competition'

i returned it for a second time on the 6th of december and emailed GMK on the 7th to let them know that the gun was at the shop and needed collecting.

i have chased this with both my local shop and GMK, and it finally got to them YESTERDAY.

40 days isnt an acceptable timeframe to get a gun back to a manufacturer in my opinion.

apparently, they tried to collect on the 9th, but it wasnt yet packaged. so just left it.

the gun has had the mid bead fall out, the bolt release retaining bolt fall out, bolt fail to lock when firing, a new rotating bolt head and a new carrier.

its still failing to extract every 12 catridges or so. seeing as its designed as a high shot volume competition gun, its not really fit for purpose.

im going down to the shop tomorrow to attempt to get my money back under the SOGA, and will then be buying a CG summit LTD sporter.

Edited by brett1985

A friend of mine recently purchased a second hand CG maxus from a local RFD, when he got the gun home he realised there were some marks on one of the side plates and top leaver. After taking the gun back to the RFD and the RFD contacting CG, he was sent a brand new gun of the same model. Whilst waiting for the new gun he's was allowed to keep the damaged gun, The gun was well out of warranty and he was to be the third owner! CG turned the whole thing around in 3 weeks. According to the shop the gun had something known in the trade as lurgie?

I have also owned a CG, I had no problems with the gun but I did loose the adjustable trigger key, I contacted CG to ask how much one would cost and two days later one arrived in the post FOC. In my eyes you cannot get better customer service and for the money they are fantastic guns.

im in a current dispute with my local gun shop and GMK with regards to my 1301 'competition'

i returned it for a second time on the 6th of december and emailed GMK on the 7th to let them know that the gun was at the shop and needed collecting.

i have chased this with both my local shop and GMK, and it finally got to them YESTERDAY.

40 days isnt an acceptable timeframe to get a gun back to a manufacturer in my opinion.

apparently, they tried to collect on the 9th, but it wasnt yet packaged. so just left it.

the gun has had the mid bead fall out, the bolt release retaining bolt fall out, bolt fail to lock when firing, a new rotating bolt head and a new carrier.

its still failing to extract every 12 catridges or so. seeing as its designed as a high shot volume competition gun, its not really fit for purpose.

im going down to the shop tomorrow to attempt to get my money back under the SOGA, and will then be buying a CG summit LTD sporter.

can you fill in the spaces on this one.the dealer you speak of was this the one who sold you the gun.is the gun within the warranty period.if yes to both it would be down to your dealer to return the gun not gmk to arrange collection and he should then keep up contact with them to ensure a speedy repair .as I have said in a previous post I sent a gun back for repair under warranty and they had it back to me in one week my dealer organised the carriage and spoke to them along with giving them my number to contact me regarding what I wanted done which they did.maybe the major part of your problem is with the dealer.

Bostonmick can I ask do you have any link ie family within the gmk group ?

Just my experience but I have never had good service from gmk

I have had a good amount of warranty work done on my guns over the last 12 mths.

My opinion on gmk...

There unhelpful,they never return your calls even when they promise ( workshop and sales desk ) they tell you your gun has been posted when it hasn't..

When they do carry out a repair it's substandard , they keep my guns for weeks for simple repairs and the list goes on :)

Edited by fruity

Bostonmick can I ask do you have any link ie family within the gmk group ?

Just my experience but I have never had good service from gmk

I have had a good amount of warranty work done on my guns over the last 12 mths.

My opinion on gmk...

There unhelpful,they never return your calls even when they promise ( workshop and sales desk ) they tell you your gun has been posted when it hasn't..

When they do carry out a repair it's substandard , they keep my guns for weeks for simple repairs and the list goes on :)

You can indeed ask.And the answer is no i have no connection with gmk other than i shoot beretta. And have done for over forty years.Over the years I have tried many other makes but just do not seem to click with them.incidentally I never had any problems with those either other than not suited. Perhaps I am just lucky. Edited by bostonmick

Thanks for the advice, the dilema is that I had a 682 Gold E which was great, the 692 was slightly better so I wanted one, I should have kept the 682 which was reliable.

As the 692 (after being replaced by GMK) is technically 'new' I should be able to sell it for a decent amount. If I keep it I will probably have to deal with GMK again which is what really killed that 'new gun' excitement.

I went to the trouble of having a 'fitting' after they said they would add some cast FOC which is why I am dissapointed they changed their mind. I think I'd rather buy a different gun and pay someone else to make the changes, the CG Summit seems equivalent to the 692 costs much less with good backup too...

Thanks for the advice, the dilema is that

If I keep it I will probably have to deal with GMK again which is what really killed that 'new gun' excitement.

I feel exactly the same way after I purchased two new guns from them , feel totally let down by gmk .

Beretta Europe , wow is all I can say what a difference , now there's a company who know how to communicate and can provide customer service :)

You can indeed ask.And the answer is no i have no connection with gmk other than i shoot beretta. And have done for over forty years.Over the years I have tried many other makes but just do not seem to click with them.incidentally I never had any problems with those either other than not suited. Perhaps I am just lucky.

Ok thanks for answering my question :)

can you fill in the spaces on this one.the dealer you speak of was this the one who sold you the gun.is the gun within the warranty period.

yes and yes.

if yes to both it would be down to your dealer to return the gun not gmk to arrange collection and he should then keep up contact with them to ensure a speedy repair.

i would usually agree with you on this point, however, because it had already been back to GMK to be repaired once already i was asked to send them an email to explain that because of all the ******* about i either want a new gun, or a complimentary 10 year warranty on the old one if they repair it as i have lost faith in the gun.

they told me that they would get it collected and inspected and keep me updated. i had an email from them on tuesday of this week taking full responsability for what was 'a major foul up' on their part with regards to the legth of time taken to collect thew gun.

as I have said in a previous post I sent a gun back for repair under warranty and they had it back to me in one week my dealer organised the carriage and spoke to them along with giving them my number to contact me regarding what I wanted done which they did.maybe the major part of your problem is with the dealer.

yes, the dealer is lapsidasical at best, and they have lied to me on more than one occasion. but they are not the ones who arranged to get it collected, GMK did. GMK were the ones who after the first failed collection didnt bother to go back again for it.

and to date, GMK are the ones who STILL havent answered me with regards to the complimentary warranty for all of the missed shooting and 2 lost permissions due to not having a gun to use.

as it happens, i have just spoken to the dealer and been informed that GMK have milled a part on the gun to get it to extract properly, and it will be back on monday. now can you tell me if you would be happy about them essentially bodging up your gun to get it to work, rather than finding the fault and replacing it with a new part?

i for one will not be accepting the gun back, and i will be getting my money back.

i paid the best part of £1000 for a new, out the box, competition gun. un-damaged and in perfect working order.

what i have ended up with is a modified beyond factory specifications gun, with a possibly heavily affected re-sale value and no warranty.

trading standards will have a ******* field day with this.

Edited by brett1985

Brett,

I take it the £1000 you paid was as well as a gun in part ex?

If yes you might have a problem getting a full refund,

If however you do get a full refund and I take it for a 692 then we are talking about £2.5k?

You could do worse than look at NickyT's used 682goldE in private sales,

It already has extra cast, an adjustable stock and amazing wood,

Would leave you with extra cartridge tokens as well......win win

:shaun:

can you fill in the spaces on this one.the dealer you speak of was this the one who sold you the gun.is the gun within the warranty period.

yes and yes.

if yes to both it would be down to your dealer to return the gun not gmk to arrange collection and he should then keep up contact with them to ensure a speedy repair.

i would usually agree with you on this point, however, because it had already been back to GMK to be repaired once already i was asked to send them an email to explain that because of all the ******* about i either want a new gun, or a complimentary 10 year warranty on the old one if they repair it as i have lost faith in the gun.

they told me that they would get it collected and inspected and keep me updated. i had an email from them on tuesday of this week taking full responsability for what was 'a major foul up' on their part with regards to the legth of time taken to collect thew gun.

as I have said in a previous post I sent a gun back for repair under warranty and they had it back to me in one week my dealer organised the carriage and spoke to them along with giving them my number to contact me regarding what I wanted done which they did.maybe the major part of your problem is with the dealer.

yes, the dealer is lapsidasical at best, and they have lied to me on more than one occasion. but they are not the ones who arranged to get it collected, GMK did. GMK were the ones who after the first failed collection didnt bother to go back again for it.

and to date, GMK are the ones who STILL havent answered me with regards to the complimentary warranty for all of the missed shooting and 2 lost permissions due to not having a gun to use.

as it happens, i have just spoken to the dealer and been informed that GMK have milled a part on the gun to get it to extract properly, and it will be back on monday. now can you tell me if you would be happy about them essentially bodging up your gun to get it to work, rather than finding the fault and replacing it with a new part?

i for one will not be accepting the gun back, and i will be getting my money back.

i paid the best part of £1000 for a new, out the box, competition gun. un-damaged and in perfect working order.

what i have ended up with is a modified beyond factory specifications gun, with a possibly heavily affected re-sale value and no warranty.

trading standards will have a ******* field day with this.

Trading standards may well tell you that your retailer is the one you have the argument with not gmk or beretta. Gmk are repairing your gun as is their duty or they could send it back to the factory which is not really what you want but as the dealer sold you goods that have been found to be faulty he is the one to put it right.