Express Pigeon Power

Oh, bought some and split one open and counted 238 pellets in the 29g load, isn't there round 270 in 6 shot to the oz/28g . I always check a new cartridge, thought they look a little bigger, but maybe my eyes are going!!!

I usually measure shot to check the size.

Why bother keep measuring shot instead of just using a cartridge you have confidence with ? I use size 6 rc sipes over decoys and walked up shooting and then i use hull high pheasant extremes size five for roost shooting i dont bother confusing my self with english or european sizes just seems like a pointless thing to have in the back of your mind while shooting

Why bother keep measuring shot instead of just using a cartridge you have confidence with ? I use size 6 rc sipes over decoys and walked up shooting and then i use hull high pheasant extremes size five for roost shooting i dont bother confusing my self with english or european sizes just seems like a pointless thing to have in the back of your mind while shooting

You are clearly a more wealthy man than me , if I was to use sipes for my pigeon shooting it would cost me a fortune , if you only shoot a few here and there fine but for most people shooting a lot of pigeon cartridge cost has to be a consideration and there are plenty that will do the job just as well over decoys as sipes and at a much cheaper price.

Have just about used up all my original clear pigeon 30g (clear case) that I used for over 15 years and had total faith in, I go my local supplier and he has the new clear pigeon in 32g, which is to much recoil for me through light game gun when shooting a lot or it's these Power Pigeon 29g 6s, so the latter it was.

If you have confidence using high performance game carts for pigeon shooting good for you, I don't have anything in the back of my mind when shooting, I was just curious about these new cartridges.

Edited by The Beater

I bought a slab of these (Pigeon Power 29g 6's) and immediately wished I hadn't - straight back to Hull Imperial 6's for me. I use these for everything (except Wildfowl) because my gun likes them, and they're fast and light on recoil. They're more expensive but there's a massive difference in quality. Anyway, the point is that cheap cartridges don't do the job just as well. Even some of the expensive ones don't! Eley Grand Prix 28g 6's in my opinion are awful, yet they're some of the most pricey cartridges. You have to pattern your gun and find the ideal load.

I bought a slab of these (Pigeon Power 29g 6's) and immediately wished I hadn't - straight back to Hull Imperial 6's for me. I use these for everything (except Wildfowl) because my gun likes them, and they're fast and light on recoil. They're more expensive but there's a massive difference in quality. Anyway, the point is that cheap cartridges don't do the job just as well. Even some of the expensive ones don't! Eley Grand Prix 28g 6's in my opinion are awful, yet they're some of the most pricey cartridges. You have to pattern your gun and find the ideal load.

Regardless of price there is not a single cartridge on the market from 28gram 7.5 upwards that will not do the job perfectly fine when pigeon decoying , I have used countless brands , shot sizes and loads over the years and cannot tell the difference between any of them .

Regardless of price there is not a single cartridge on the market from 28gram 7.5 upwards that will not do the job perfectly fine when pigeon decoying , I have used countless brands , shot sizes and loads over the years and cannot tell the difference between any of them .

I'll second that..

Hi Fenboy, same as you, I've had bad and good experiences with most brands, but it's all about confidence. I'm confident with Hull Imperial so I stick to them. I'm no snob, when I had a 20 bore I used Express steel 4s for everything because they patterned really well in my gun. I'd rather use cartridges that do the job excellently than fine! It stands to reason that cheaper cartridges are made with cheaper components so their performance will be less - it's very disappointing when you spend out on supposedly higher quality shells which turn out to be inferior.

Hi Fenboy, same as you, I've had bad and good experiences with most brands, but it's all about confidence. I'm confident with Hull Imperial so I stick to them. I'm no snob, when I had a 20 bore I used Express steel 4s for everything because they patterned really well in my gun. I'd rather use cartridges that do the job excellently than fine! It stands to reason that cheaper cartridges are made with cheaper components so their performance will be less - it's very disappointing when you spend out on supposedly higher quality shells which turn out to be inferior.

I would agree confidence plays a large part in good shooting .

But you may be surprised at what the difference in on some so called good quality game cartridges and cheaper alternatives , often the only difference will be a nicer box or a higher brass ! there are only a handful of component manufacturers and most of the loading companies use them .

I would agree confidence plays a large part in good shooting .

But you may be surprised at what the difference in on some so called good quality game cartridges and cheaper alternatives , often the only difference will be a nicer box or a higher brass ! there are only a handful of component manufacturers and most of the loading companies use them .

Agreed. The only game cartridges I think are genuinely and noticeably better are Gamebore Pure Gold and Hull Imperial. Eley are not what they used to be, last batch I bought were slow, fouled the barrels like black powder does and the pellets were deforming the outer case to the point where I had to push the shells in to the chamber of my gun...

Agreed. The only game cartridges I think are genuinely and noticeably better are Gamebore Pure Gold and Hull Imperial. Eley are not what they used to be, last batch I bought were slow, fouled the barrels like black powder does and the pellets were deforming the outer case to the point where I had to push the shells in to the chamber of my gun...

How slow were they?

How slow were they?

I'm no scientist, but I'm used to minimum lead on walked up and decoyed birds at up to 45 yards. Hull Imperial and Gamebore Pure Gold are great for this type of shooting. The Grand Prix I was using were visibly behind nearly every crosser I shot at. I had to give more lead than usual which felt totally wrong! I used 2 boxes and sold the rest of the slab. They were new cartridges in the updated packaging.

Guest cookoff013

This carts are bit gappy at 30yrds with 1/4 choke, a lot better pattern with 3/4 through mk60. Still 19 pigeons in an hour on the rape the other morning before they fled else where.

put in full and 3/4 and then have a go.