Best mays of removing pitting.

TheGreenknight

It may seem elementary but pits result from corrosion of the original metal in small patches. They cannot be 'polished out effectively -the barrel(s) must be reprofiled and may lose wall thickness to a critical level.

Gunsmith's advice on whether enough strength would be retained following reprofiling, If he says 'no' then you have a gun which may be out of proof. Not something to take on lightly I suggest

I know that at one point it has had new barrels made and the wall thickness is good. I may just give them a good scrub through at the end as he wants the stock lengthening and then refinishing.

The action is in pretty good condition I just need to replace the odd spring and a good all round clean.

He will just have to live with the barrels. I have shot this gun and it does shoot well so oh well.

Then again £30 for a gun that's about 70 year old I suppose he can't complain to much.. ;)

what are the wall thickness measurements and who measured them?..prior to stock lengthening etc it is important to establish the state of the barrels as always with old guns it is BARRELS/BARRELS/BARRELS which are important...pointless spending time & money on cosmetics if barrels are not safe to fire...why not get a gunsmith to look at them?it is frankly irrelevant it was only £30...that will seem expensive if a barrel fails...a huge number of old guns have pitting,and in many cases totally safe to fire but it sounds to me that you are not sure and if you do not know the proofing margins and barrel measurements/depth of internal pits you are taking a risk...however small you may feel that is it is still a risk. If a shotgun discharge was called a 'controlled bomb exploding within a thin pipe' maybe you would check out the pipes a bit more on basis you & folk stand around them each time a 'bomb' is let off....