• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

All quiet on the boating front?

Hoping to get out on the Gilthead Bream tomorrow, never fished for them before anyone got pointers? I'm told rag or lug and try to go with them up the river (helford in this instance).

The great thing about the tides tomorrow is we can fish bream in the morning, stop for lunch at the pub in the helford then head off for some cod we hope... good times :)

Edited by thepasty

All quiet on the boating front?

Hoping to get out on the Gilthead Bream tomorrow, never fished for them before anyone got pointers? I'm told rag or lug and try to go with them up the river (helford in this instance).

The great thing about the tides tomorrow is we can fish bream in the morning, stop for lunch at the pub in the helford then head off for some cod we hope... good times :)

We are hoping to go after gilts next week, never done it before either but really wanna give it a go!

Let me know how you got on.

My next door neighbour bought a Topper last summer for his teenage daughters to have a bit of fun on and it gave me a real hankering to get myself something single handed, then I remembered that I am neither 18 nor built like a racing snake so those hankerings are best consigned to memories. I really don't know if I could get myself under the boom of some of the newer single handed performance dinghies.

Apart from the 505 my other dinghy is a Topper. Great to sail alone when there is no one else about for the 505. I'm 50 and still have great fun on a Topper. In a strong wind it's as near to windsurfing as you'll get with out being on a board. In a calm day I go out with a can of beer and drag a paravane behind and catch fish off St Michaels Mount.

Edited by rorygall

We are hoping to go after gilts next week, never done it before either but really wanna give it a go!

Let me know how you got on.

We headed out early hoping to get infront of them as they came up the river, but someone forgot to tell the bream about the deal! We were a bit late in the season and the lack of any other boats trying the same comfirmed this.... we gave it a couple hours then retreated with tails firmly between legs.

Mackerel were still thin on the ground, we gave up trying to get enough for the bbq but the ones we did get were a good size (used for bait).

Perplexed at the lack of fish we headed a few miles out to one of our deeper reef marks and sure enough found the fish, or atleast I did with good pollock coming up on every drift, my brother didnt fair so well, much to his disgust, its a funny old game!

Finally we tried a cod/whiting mark, whiting came up on pretty much every drop with me getting my biggest ever whiting at around 4lb (same as the shore caught record) but not a cod to be seen.

An enjoyable day that started slow but turned good..... we saluted the day with a pint on the beach to close..... good times :)

Edited by thepasty

We headed out early hoping to get infront of them as they came up the river, but someone forgot to tell the bream about the deal! We were a bit late in the season and the lack of any other boats trying the same comfirmed this.... we gave it a couple hours then retreated with tails firmly between legs.

Mackerel were still thin on the ground, we gave up trying to get enough for the bbq but the ones we did get were a good size (used for biat).

Perplexed at the lack of fish we headed a few miles out to one of our deeper reef marks and sure enough found the fish, or atleast I did with good pollock coming up on every drift, my brother didnt fair so well, much to his disgust, its a funny old game!

Finally we tried a cod/whiting mark, whiting came up on pretty much every drop with me getting my biggest ever whiting at around 4lb (same as the shore caught record) but not a cod to be seen.

An enjoyable day that started slow but turned good..... we saluted the day with a pint on the beach to close..... good times :)

Gutted, I was really hoping you would say you had a red letter day, I think we will probably, head out to some off shore reefs and wrecks after some ling. and some bass:-)

Will let you know how we get on.nice report too!

Cheers

Darno

With fishing season round again, my brother and i took Teal out for the first fishing trip of the season last weekend. Fishing was pretty slow going, but it was nice to be out on the water again in the sun, even just for a couple of hours :) However, the fishing did end on a high note after catching my first fish on a fly that i tied myself! I was well pleased

Nothing too spectacular, a small-medium sized perch that came flying out of the reeds near the bank to hammer the 'streamer' that i'd made only a fews days earlier. In the clear water i saw it all happen right in front of me, was pretty cool to see.

Only been tying for a couple of weeks so still very much learning, but it bodes well! :)

aye I'm struggling with tide today too.... I hope you hook into the bream, we need pics of your day!

Well, after a 3am launch of the boat, we aimed to be up tide of the bream on the first tide, but we were a tad too late, and just had a few tiny bass which were returned.

Had a fryup on the boat, and tried for some mullet up the creeks on the top of the tide, they weren't interested in the slightest!

We're on time for the second push of the tide and I managed my first ever gilt head bream:-)..................I won't mention that it was only the size of the palm of my hand:-)

Good day had by me and my mate, but a **** days fishing in the scheme of things!

We're you out today?

I will try and get a pic of my monster bream up when I have a minute

Edited by Darno

Grats on your first bream Darno! What did you use on the Mullet? I was thinking maybe trying a fly setup on them? they get pretty big up the rivers! not that I have a fly setup. You had a fryup on the boat?! I only dream of such boating luxuries :D

I took the lad out the other evening, just for a jolly and test the mackerel which are finally here in abundance, dragging them up every drop.

Mate, the boat is only a 9ft glorified tender, but the middle seat doubles up as a bench to put a gas stove on:-) sausage, bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried bread,fresh shot pigeon breast.

Usually use bread for the mullet, they are great to catch, and fishing by sight is always fun. Never tried on a fly, but my mate has and it is something I will get round to trying I'm sure.

Some monster mackerel were caught by another boat that has been out yesterday, he showed us as he came up the river!

• 1 year later...