Pigeon behaviour differences round the country?

turbo33

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd bet money that those with access to maize cover strips will be shooting decent bags of pigeons.On farms all over the country there will be people shooting bags of 100+ on maize. There are lots of birds shot by LOTS of people who we will never see on pigeon watch.

I have seen strips of maize on my travels around North Norfolk this weekend that are covered in pigeons. I also saw the same thing in Cambridgeshire last week.

Well if you had bet money motty you would now be better off. We had are first go on an estate well known for pigeons yesterday on maize i finished on 111 another on 201 and another on 180 there were a few more shooting as well. I think the total was around 700ish. We stated at 8.30ish and could get a thing to decoy till around 12 and packed up at 3.00. I shot alot of flighting hi And wide birds in the morning just to start making the bag up. But this has not touched the ammount that is there. I have a picture on my phone of me with my bag another gun kindly tock for me but i dont no how to put it on here. Lots of rape around that area aswell but they wanted the maize.

Well if you had bet money motty you would now be better off. We had are first go on an estate well known for pigeons yesterday on maize i finished on 111 another on 201 and another on 180 there were a few more shooting as well. I think the total was around 700ish. We stated at 8.30ish and could get a thing to decoy till around 12 and packed up at 3.00. I shot alot of flighting hi And wide birds in the morning just to start making the bag up. But this has not touched the ammount that is there. I have a picture on my phone of me with my bag another gun kindly tock for me but i dont no how to put it on here. Lots of rape around that area aswell but they wanted the maize.

Good shooting.

If you are able to get a picture up why not start a new thread about your day to go along with it? There would be a lot of interest I am sure.

There seems to be behavioural differences in pigeons in different areas. Our tash sporting hero seems to be able to find where the pigeons will oblige and commit to his decoys. He just has a knack of finding the right places to shoot.

Maybe i am missing something (if so please tell me, PC!), but i can't consistently get pigeons to behave in the winter months, unless it is on a crop other than oilseed rape. My best bag at this time of year was 194 on sugar beet tops a few years back.

Crossed the border back in Herts this week, after finally finding some smashed maize with grain left for the birds to eat. Having not been shot on this estate all winter but gas-gunned off the rape, the pigeons were wary but not magnet-shy like my Essex friends. In spite of difficult wind conditions, field layout etc not being ideal I managed a 60 and a 50 in the last few days.

So I CAN still do it!!