Pigeon behaviour differences round the country?

turbo33

Well I have been roost shooting with our club for nigh on 40 years and the most noticable thing, other than there are now far fewer pigeons, is that birds are coming to roost much earlier. Once Guns would hang on until the last moment before leaving the woods, when the big flocks would swoop in with a rush of set wings. We would shoot as late as possible , visible muzzle flash with the paper biakels. Now its all over when daylight prevails and certainly none of those whooshing diving to roost birds.

Blackpowder

With the warmer winters we've had lately, I agree. They don't need the warmth of woods. Birds have been roosting in trees near their feeding fields, me arriving at dawn then puts them off that field before they have started to feed and they go elsewhere.

Edited by kitchrat

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the question breaks down into two parts.

There is definitely geographical variations on pigeon activity, which relate to woodland coverage, weather and food availability.

The progress of growing crops definitely varies around the country and even crop types and field sizes.

This variation encourages pigeons to stay in certain areas.

With regard to individual shooters successes.

If you "Search" and read Topgunners reports and then read Pigeon Controllers, both successful "big bag" shooters, you will see the similarities.

Reconnaisance features highly, with time spent looking and being prepared to travel long distances, always looking for the birds.

If a chosen spot doesn't work out, they don't just sit there and hope, they move on.

When they see feeding birds on land they have no permission to shoot over, they go and knock on the farmers door and ask.

The theme that runs through their method is being proactive, don't wait for the birds to come to you, go looking.

I also believe that these two gentlemen particularly are good shots, how many times have we thought that if we had killed everything we should have, there would be a 100+ birds at the end of the day.

Being a good shot is very important.

I used to shoot the Hainault, chigwell areas which are just outside London and would shoot big bags regularly over rape and any other crop or stubble, through the year. I also shot other farms in essex where a 100 bird day was pretty rare, and an 86 was the most I ever shot on winter rape. I was convinced the pretty " easy " shooting I had near London was that the birds were " city woodies " , and not as clued up as their country cousins. So maybe PC s birds are Brummie city birds? Then again, dead birds don't pass on fear of rotaries to their friends! And he sure kills a lot of birds! :)

A fellow beater of mine recently shot over 100 in an afternoon, on rape, just outside Harlow. He was as surprised as anyone and admitted that they were "town birds" that had been tempted out by easy pickings and had no idea what a magnet was, or what shooting was. Birds on the way in would continue in as birds ahead of them died!

As to passing on knowledge, I've seen adult birds push decoying birds (their young??) away from my pattern.

Motty will disagree, because he hasn't seen it happen, but I have.

There is definitely geographical variations on pigeon activity, which relate to woodland coverage, weather and food availability.

The progress of growing crops definitely varies around the country and even crop types and field sizes.

If you "Search" and read Topgunners reports and then read Pigeon Controllers, both successful "big bag" shooters, you will see the similarities.

Reconnaisance features highly, with time spent looking and being prepared to travel long distances, always looking for the birds.

If a chosen spot doesn't work out, they don't just sit there and hope, they move on.

When they see feeding birds on land they have no permission to shoot over, they go and knock on the farmers door and ask.

The theme that runs through their method is being proactive, don't wait for the birds to come to you, go looking.

I also believe that these two gentlemen particularly are good shots, how many times have we thought that if we had killed everything we should have, there would be a 100+ birds at the end of the day.

More words of wisdom!

However, it is hard to find the right farmer, so much is owned by huge companies with no local farmhouse to target - that's been sold to a "Townie" who has paddock for the kid's horse and is anti field sports, especially anything noisy!!

In Canada, on the praries, you can buy a map with tells you the name and address of the landowner of each field. So you drive round. ask if you can shoot and they say "Yes, enjoy yourself but no digging ditches" (fair enough!!)

Adding to Cranfield's point about crop variability, the farmer on one of my farms I shoot at said he planted a new strain of rape that is [supposedly] unpalatable to pigeons. I see one flock lifting from it almost every time I shoot there but it won't come back for an hour of two so possibly it isn't their favoured crop? But saying that, I don't see any other areas with large number of pigeons regularly feeding either.

Incidentally, I've been hearing more and more pigeons calling thus week so things may change soon enough.

Adding to Cranfield's point about crop variability, the farmer on one of my farms I shoot at said he planted a new strain of rape that is [supposedly] unpalatable to pigeons. I see one flock lifting from it almost every time I shoot there but it won't come back for an hour of two so possibly it isn't their favoured crop? But saying that, I don't see any other areas with large number of pigeons regularly feeding either.

Incidentally, I've been hearing more and more pigeons calling thus week so things may change soon enough.

We have noticed that the rape with a purple leaf is not favoured by the pigeons in general but we have shot it when a flightline crosses it

Blimey, grew up there. How long ago was it that you used to shoot there?

I used to shoot the Hainault, chigwell areas which are just outside London and would shoot big bags regularly over rape and any other crop or stubble, through the year. I also shot other farms in essex where a 100 bird day was pretty rare, and an 86 was the most I ever shot on winter rape. I was convinced the pretty " easy " shooting I had near London was that the birds were " city woodies " , and not as clued up as their country cousins. So maybe PC s birds are Brummie city birds? Then again, dead birds don't pass on fear of rotaries to their friends! And he sure kills a lot of birds! :)

I live there and there is a huge resident (??) population in the town. I could shoot plenty on the wide grass verges.

A fellow beater of mine recently shot over 100 in an afternoon, on rape, just outside Harlow. He was as surprised as anyone and admitted that they were "town birds" that had been tempted out by easy pickings and had no idea what a magnet was, or what shooting was. Birds on the way in would continue in as birds ahead of them died!

As to passing on knowledge, I've seen adult birds push decoying birds (their young??) away from my pattern.

We have noticed that the rape with a purple leaf is not favoured by the pigeons in general but we have shot it when a flightline crosses it

And they don't seem to touch charlock which is almost the same as rape (to us). There's only charlock left in some fields round here.

Just to follow on blackpower's comment on roost shooting the same thing as happened in our area, 15:30 to 17:30 years ago could be some of the best shooting you will experience especially in February,sadly in the area of lancashire I shoot two big roost woods have been bought by bird twitchers,4 o'clock packed up and gone home,if any of you have decent roost woods and they come on the market try and club together and buy them because if you don't the bird twitchers will and your shooting will dry up over night.

sums it up quite nicely... :good:

cracking thread lads...

While i don't doubt the gentlemen in question can shoot well enough, i know that there are plenty more of us that can kill most of what we shoot at. Unfortunately, there are some people who i don't invite when i think a 'big day' is on the cards, simply because i want to maximise the potential of that particular situation.

While i don't doubt the gentlemen in question can shoot well enough, i know that there are plenty more of us that can kill most of what we shoot at. Unfortunately, there are some people who i don't invite when i think a 'big day' is on the cards, simply because i want to maximise the potential of that particular situation.

That's me out then Motty.

I'm not sure if you meant this literally, or not. Obviously pigeons don't know what a magnet is, just as they have no clue that the person who stands up pointing a long arm that goes bang, is trying to kill them.

With this in mind, birds that continue into the pattern while their mates ahead of them die, simply won't be able to reason why they haven't fled the bang, but instead have apparently landed on the floor to feed.

That's me out then Motty.

Not at all. In fact, i think i would enjoy your company in a hide.

That's a bit harsh Motty , I only missed about 5 or 6 :sad1: Give me a second chance and I will try harder :)

Now Jdog, as PC was kind enough to wear his xmas jumper as requested, whilst `displaying the days bag.........I really feel you should have the confidence to leave your normal shooting hat behind, and prove to us all that big bags of pigeon can be attained by wearing even the above hat :good:

If you do just make sure that you are up to date with the latest fashion. This is my current favourite which I wear in the house as it is so cold.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=d5c977a9e9c42468823c25c707ff9841&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=305724&p=2759102&md5check=99662395f2ecbb1f9c93e86fed3ef8e8&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,3ZyENbkHvQE'); //]]></script>P1010004-2.jpg&&0

Dear oh dear , does lady JDog know you dress up while she is out at work.

Just to follow on blackpower's comment on roost shooting the same thing as happened in our area, 15:30 to 17:30 years ago could be some of the best shooting you will experience especially in February,sadly in the area of lancashire I shoot two big roost woods have been bought by bird twitchers,4 o'clock packed up and gone home,if any of you have decent roost woods and they come on the market try and club together and buy them because if you don't the bird twitchers will and your shooting will dry up over night.

Yesterday I heard on the radio that the RSPB has more members than all the combined political parties in G.B.

Blackpowder