Teague choke grease

Salop Matt

• 9 months later...

Much talk about different choke lubes, though I'll also stick with the Teague-selected stuff for my MX8/Teagues.

Today I tried to purchase Castrol Spheerol LCX 6002 from Kernow Oils. However, although awaiting delivery, they presently have some tubes of exactly the same Castrol grease with labels depicting the former brand name "Pyroplex Blue".

Cost £6.50 per 400g tube, if anyone wants to take advantage of this?

Cheers,

Brendan

Guest cookoff013

i use duckoil for water displacement and cleaning, and bisley gun grease for choke tubes. the copper stuff is ok because the choke is not actually moving and is not really that abrasive.

Chokes are std metal components with threads. They are not moving parts and there isn't a great deal of heat involved. about the only thing involved in the sticking of chokes is burnt powder residue getting into the treads. this is no different to 22 rf silencers such as the Parker Hale that get so blocked with hard powder residue that it is a hard job to get the thing open and get the baffles out. The main thing is that if you leave the chokes in the barrels for years without removing them, cleaning the threads and lubing them, they run a risk of getting stuck. Any automotive lube is more than adequate. I take mine out about every 2 >> 3 hundred cartridges and wash them off with petrol, brushing the threads with a small paintbrush and then a coat of grease or copper slip. all automotive grease is designed to run at high speed sometimes in very hot conditions for long periods.so lubing a non moving choke tube is a doddle. You could probable use the goose grease. Never tried anything like that but I once saw a Briggs lawnmower engine that someone had put the lamb fat left over from a chop or something into the sump because it was all that was available at the time and the engine was nearly a scrapper. The engine ran as sweet as a nut and never seized up and went on with a good oil change for a long time until the whole machine was scrapped. it was a bit of a novelty that it had been used and worked ok. The exhaust smelt like a Sunday roast.

Edited by fortune

I use 80mm flush Teagues and coat the entire length of the tube and thread with the chosen grease before reinsertion after cleaning.

The sticky high-temperature compound is enough to discourage gas infiltration or loosening during use, and never good to overtighten flush chokes with tapered keys. Also no chance of galvanic corrosion between the tube and inner bore, which isn't chrome-lined on the MX8 and other such guns.

I do remove, clean, and re-grease them after several-hundred rounds, but they never come loose, unscrew easily, and never noticed any deposits where they shouldn't be.

Probably overkill and worry over nothing, though just comforting to stick with what we know works for us - whatever we use.

Edited by Brendan-MX8