Sturgon on equality

keg

Things aren't always as they seem Kalahari, you are quite correct about the Barnett formula about money coming North, though there are strong reasons why this is the case - Geography, Islands etc. More importantly taxes paid to the treasury are higher. Jimmydean self determination can be awkward in its discussion. You've nothing to worry about.lol ATB Mcleod.

Edited by mcleod

yep ours bail to places you get paid well for the job?the way we treat our medical workers with no pay rises ect is shameful no wonder they bail.

No different to the private sector then. If the rest of the country isn't getting a rise, why should they? If we are talking about doctors then different again... I don't know a poor one.

Things aren't always as they seem Kalahari, you are quite correct about the Barnett formula about money coming North, though there are strong reasons why this is the case - Geography, Islands etc. More importantly taxes paid to the treasury are higher. Jimmydean self determination can be awkward in its discussion. You've nothing to worry about.lol ATB Mcleod.

I thought most of you were reliant on the state for your income, be it public sector jobs or just benefits.

I thought most of you were reliant on the state for your income, be it public sector jobs or just benefits.

:no: weirdly most the people I know work for themselves , self sufficient, building, fishing, farming, not much heavy industry in the islands and highlands, we make a living as best we can, same as a lot of people

Your right Island gun. Can't remember where your based, was it Lewis or Harris? Was a Deer Ghillie on Eishken a long time ago. Cracking place up there, are you getting any Bass up there in the warmer months,? noticed you liked the sea fishing. ATB Mcleod.

Edited by mcleod

Your right Island gun. Can't remember where your based, was it Lewis or Harris? Was a Deer Ghillie on Eishken a long time ago. Cracking place up there, are you getting any Bass up there in the warmer months,? noticed you liked the sea fishing. ATB Mcleod.

Harris mate

Know the Eishken estate quite well (mink trapping) Bass ! I wish, there have been a few in gill nets allegedly :rolleyes: I will find them this year with a rod and line

So if tax revenues from Scotland dry up, then we can give you less?

The favoured calculation by SNP for tax returns assumes the full geographic share of North Sea revenue based on notional international maritime boundaries, in which case Scotland has contributed more tax per head over the last 30 years.

Of course this year may be different given the collapse in oil prices and the lowering of the tax burden on our offshore producers.

If a revenue split of oil is assumed based on population share then Scotland contribute less than they receive back.

Good arguments exist for both calculations to be the preferred method, but our claim to pay more than we get back is a little disingenuous, likewise the claim of those south of our border to subsidise us is the same.

Edited by grrclark

Don't forget also the geodemographics of Scotland vs the rest of UK. Scotland has significantly higher % of social housing, unemployed, unhealthy (drink/smoking/overweight) and thus their drag on UK revenues much higher. The only slight balancing factor is longevity and pensions where cost lower. Of course this 'mix' gives it a different voting characteristic ie virtually no Tories and the former strong Labour vote moving to SNP. Whilst Cameron didn't want to go down in history as the PM who oversaw the breakup of the Union I bet he is now wishing they got independence.

Norfolk, if you lived up here through the weeks before the vote last year you would have a different take on it! If Nigel and his lot get in (Which I doubt) the break up may be inevitable. As far as your stats go, would love to see some up to date info. As per most PW posts there are many lingering stereotypes of your neighbours north of the border, which are inflamed by a rather treacherous right wing press. This is mainly what causes divide on this Island! I urge anyone who has never been up here, come and have a look around. We are not a bad bunch, it's just a different outlook. When I lived in Suffolk I used to go drinking with some lads from the Norfolk Mountain Rescue Team, well that's what they used to wear on their t shirts.