Importing Shotguns

pav

I have been looking at the price of some semi autos and have found them to be up to 40% cheaper in the states. Is it possible to import a shotgun from the states and if so what steps need to be taken?

Not sure about the whole importing guns thing, but don't forget that unless its marked "gift" (which might be dodgy on a gun!), then you will still be subject to 17.5% VAT and possibly import duty as well.

Si

You will also need to have the gun "proofed" in a UK proof house as it's illegal to sell a shotgun in the UK that's not been UK proofed.

I don't believe it's worth even thinking about it, better to emigrate and leave rip off Britain behind..!! :/

Cat.

Not a bad idea at all!

You will also need to have the gun "proofed" in a UK proof house as it's illegal to sell a shotgun in the UK that's not been UK proofed.

I don't believe it's worth even thinking about it, better to emigrate and leave rip off Britain behind..!! :/

Cat.

Cat,

Does that still apply? I know it is illegal to sell a gun that is out of proof but it doesn't have to be proofed in a UK proof house.

My Blaser was proofed in germany and has the european proof marks on it.

I know when I worked for Budget guns and Tackle and they were the sole importers of Baikal guns they all went to Birmingham first.

my gun (remmy 1100) was imported from the states!

i didnt have it imported but when i purcashed it it came with a load of import papers

but it has loads of different proofed marks al over it as it has a spare french barrel....?

so there you go talk o you local gun shop is the best bet... :/

Have a read of this, lifted straight off the Met Police website:

Importation

The importation of unproved arms into the United Kingdom is subject to control as prescribed in Section 122(4) of the 1868 Act, as amended by the Act of 1978.

Notification of importation has to be given to the Proof House within seven days and/or the arms submitted to proof within twenty eight days of arrival in this country.

These regulations do not apply to small arms imported by any person for his own personal use, while they remain his own property. Penalties for offences are similar to those for the sale of unproved arms.

Foreign proof marks

Prior to June 1980, there was reciprocal agreement for recognition of certain foreign proof marks, by international accord. At that time the United Kingdom became a signatory member of the International Proof Commission (C.I.P.), Secretariat, at the Belgian Proof House, Liege. Since then the United Kingdom has recognised all the proof marks of the other member nations and, reciprocally, they all recognise UK marks. The C.I.P. has been working since 1914 for the standardisation of proof, which also involves standardisation of pressure measurements, of chamber and bore sizes and cartridge dimensions.

Currently its members are: Austria, Belgium, Chile, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Russia, Spain and the United Kingdom.

Previous reciprocal agreement continues with the Republic of Ireland as it is not a member of the C.I.P.

I'm no lawyer, but my interpretation of the above is that it's OK to import, use and subsequently sell a shotgun imported from say, France, but not from the USA.

You can also import a gun from the USA, and use it yourself, but you cannot legally sell it until it has been proof tested by a UK proof house.

Cat.

To import a firearm into the u.k can be done- I spoke to a friend of mine who is an RFD. But by the time you have gone through the hassle you will have rather bought one off the shelf.He goes to America for manufacturer trade shows and brings back 3-4 to as manufacturer samples.

When we came back from the states the other year, as we waited for the luggage to appear, I asked a customs guy about bringing back guns, he was ok with it, saying "if you can own one here and have a certificate to prove it no problem, bring it in your case not as hand luggage"

and we will chage you vat and duty on it.