New range rifle

Livefast123

After selling my .22LR CZ 511 semi auto I immediately missed having one in the cabinet so I decided to go out and see what was available in the semi auto market. The main use for the gun would be at the range and especially for the new turning target competitions that were now being run. I wanted something that would be fun to use, have decent magazine capacity for competitions and have decent accuracy.

I have always liked military style rifles but in my experience they were pretty expensive. My gun collection has been pretty diverse, ranging from cowboy to american civil war to modern hunting rifles so I don't consider myself a walt :| Looking on Guntrader I saw that a couple of local shops were selling GSG 522SDs for a very agreeable price. I looked at a couple of independent online reviews which compared accuracy to a modified 10/22 so decided that it would be worth going to look at.

On arrival I was greeted by a matt black MP5ish clone, picking the rifle up it was considerably heavier than I expected it to be in a good way and the retractable stock made it nice and compact. The SD model also has a full length barrel shroud over the 16" barrel. After going over the gun I didn't need much persuading to rehome it in my cabinet.

So far I have put 500 CCI minimag through it and have not had any problems, the gun runs very smoothly and seems to be accurate with the supplied open sights, although I have been far too busy having fun to measure a controlled group size :)

I've now added a 551 sight which I'm hopefully going to trial at the weekend, I also may need to buy shares in CCI....

post-50932-0-00283800-1435329377_thumb.jpg

post-50932-0-72714600-1435329445_thumb.jpg

Edited by Livefast123

that is a good deal!!

WIll it run subs and can it be moderated?

I like the contempory style too, not because I'm a wonna be soldier but because I like a more modern look and well thought out ergonomics.

I've been eyeing up the SIG 522 and H&K 416 for some time now but cant bring myself to part with my CZ511!

that is a good deal!!

WIll it run subs and can it be moderated?

I like the contempory style too, not because I'm a wonna be soldier but because I like a more modern look and well thought out ergonomics.

I've been eyeing up the SIG 522 and H&K 416 for some time now but cant bring myself to part with my CZ511!

Sportsman in Exeter has them at the same price or SIG 522 Classic at £499. It certainly runs standard CCI stuff as I borrowed 50 when I ran out of ammo at the range, there are lots of reports from America that they run subs but i'll have to get a pack and try. https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=41&t=375611

I appreciate the design and it gives me pleasure to look at it, after all you wouldn't buy a car you didn't like the look of!

The CZ511 is a classic however I think you'll have far more fun with one of the above!

Edited by Livefast123

It would need to serve as a bunny basher aswell hence the subs and moderator questions.

The trouble is that for a semi my 511 is damned accurate, even out to 100yrds....its small, light and it was my first ever firearm so hold it fondly.... I dunno... maybe its time for something new.

Yeah the 511 was my first, i'll always have a weakness for them, such robust rifles and dead easy to strip down.

I think the 522 Carbine already has a moderator attached and i'll have to try some subs.

As for accuracy, when the fun factor goes down i'll put my old Tasco on top and see what it can do

I had one of these a couple of years ago, nice little rifle :)

Have a look at the following link, a set of proper push pins, a buffer stopper and some proper internal screws are a good investment if you plan on keeping it.

http://rrages.com/screws/net.htm

http://rrages.com/buffer/index2.htm

http://rrages.com/pins/net.htm

Sold mine and bought a M&15-22, much better all round but costs a lot more than £299!.

My bad Chilly, it is a clone 551 although the real thing would have been awesome.

Phaedra, I have been looking at the rages stuff and was going to order some but it says on his site that he doesn't ship to the UK......it seems that many suppliers are now taking this approach with the invent of ITAR. I had heard that decent accuracy was fairly easy to achieve.

Really want to get the GSG conversion kit back to original MP5 and a nice metal claw clamp for it as well as a sling.

Edited by Livefast123