SSB -150 Load Required

Hi, I've been looking for an alternative to Alliant Steel powder and have managed to source some Maxam SSB-150. Has anyone worked with this powder as I'm looking for a Steel load in 35gms. Just need a starting figure, to work up to a suitable alternative to my Alliant Steel loads. I've got SAM1, B&P35 and LBC-48 wads and will be loading into Federal 3" hulls, so any advice would be great.

http://www.maxamcomponents.com/en/outdoorsbrand/componentes/products/powders

http://www.maxam.net/media/Default%20Files/Outdoors/MAXAMComponents.pdf

try these links

I dont know what happened to the size of the text but the links might point you in the right direction

Thanks for that. Would be good to know what powder weight is in the Eley Lightening Steel 32gm and 36gm shells as they use SSB-150. I can't source them near me to get one to cut open, so if anyone could assist, that would be great.

SSB Powders (for steel loads)

SSB 150
Caliber Primer Projectile Load (gr.) Powder Load (gr.) Velocity (m/s) 12 G-1000 32 2,05 415 12 G-1000 36 2 400 12 G-1000 42 2,2 390 20 G-1000 24 1,32 375 28 G-1000 21 1,29 396 36 G-1000 19 0,78 344

Shape: square Color: black Dimension: 1,3 X 1,3 mm. Thickness: 0,24 mm. Density: 550

Hi.

PM me your email if you still want data SSB -150. I considered using this powder but dropped the ideal.

If you don't mind saying why did you drop the idea of using SSB 150, I have tried a few loads but find it a bulky powder with wads sitting to high in the cheddite cases,ok for RTO , which was the same with CBS0 which it replaced, Jim.

Hi.

PM me your email if you still want data SSB -150. I considered using this powder but dropped the ideal.

If you don't mind saying why did you drop the idea of using SSB 150, I have tried a few loads but find it a bulky powder with wads sitting to high in the cheddite cases,ok for RTO , which was the same with CBS0 which it replaced, Jim.

Try reloading into Federal cases. You can get up to 37 grains of SSB150, with 36grams of steel into a B&P35, with a perfect crimp. I have never fired this load, so please don't use it as a recipe. I only loaded it up for a volume test. Could probably push it to 38 grains without crimp issues. I'm going to work a few loads from 30grains up and see what kind of results I get.

Hi.

I looked at the data for 12g 3 inch and after converting from m/s to fps it did not appear to make 1400fps which I consider a minimum. Based on that I never got any SSB -150 so no experience with it. At the moment I use Steel or Blue Dot in 3 inch Federal or Fiocchi cases and load to American data. When shooting steel I use a modern gun with steel proof and have not had any issues.

The maxam powder is ok....... But it won't touch Alliant 380, steel or 381 for pressure vs velocity. For moderate duck or goose loads it is good due to price, but hp Alliant loads will be much lower on pressure for similar vel

That depends on what recipe you are loading to , it would seem that newer batches of alliant steel are producing higher pressures than older lots and reloading data has not been changed to reflect this.

I did some testing with Lot 25 Alliant Steel loads and had them proof tested. There was no significant increase in pressure compared to old data.

I understand there is 2 types of SSB150 on the market so please be aware that you use the correct data for the correct powder as I can assure you it is different.

The original Eley lightnings were loaded with the old type powder but the ssb150 was reinvented shortly after and the data is very different

As graham said, it's not a vast difference, and I think with the greater lot no. Stateside perhaps more of an issue fenboy. I expect if like some of the yanks you loaded a heavy powdered 7/8 or 1oz hv load it may show more?? I tested all my own wildcat and 'published' data at the beginning, testing buffer, overloading/ underloading with steel, 381 and 356..... Steel has more pressure than 381 load for load, but burnt better in lighter loads. Vel was nowhere near published data, but ended up doctoring a factory load and came up with a cracking little home load very similar to the factory, but 150fps faster for 400 bar less pressure : )

I did some testing with Lot 25 Alliant Steel loads and had them proof tested. There was no significant increase in pressure compared to old data.

I understand there is 2 types of SSB150 on the market so please be aware that you use the correct data for the correct powder as I can assure you it is different.

The original Eley lightnings were loaded with the old type powder but the ssb150 was reinvented shortly after and the data is very different

I am surprised , there is a lot of talk about this on the american forums.

I also gave a PW member a RSI recipe which should have produced 8000 psi , he loaded it to the letter sent for proof and it failed producing 13000 psi.

Guest cookoff013

No, the 3.5" shell is 14000psi. However some HP stuff is 1050bar. With upper limits of sub 1200bar.

Pressure is a love-hate thing.

Saying that. No point in 13000psi unless it is something special like 2oz or a bazillion fps.

SSB-150 was a new powder that was brought on the market as a replacement powder, to produce lower pressures at higher velocities.

I've loaded up a few 36gm with SSB-150 to try out in the next few days, so i will report back with findings. The new Lightening Steel are SSB-150, so if Eley say they can get 1430fps, I'm sure I can easily improve on that.

With Alliant Steel, you are only going to get at best, around 1500fps for a 35gm steel load. I can confirm I have used this and it is a great load, but I feel we can get a European powder, which will be suffice for our needs, at half the price and availability.

Eley Lightening Steels and VIP (high performance) steel shells are getting rave reviews, so as Reloaders, let's try and better them.

If you can be bothered, and have the gun to take HP.

Load up to 1000bar with a good dose of powder you'd easily get 1500fps.

I chronographed a few SSB loads today and worked up to a load of 35gms of #B, with a five shot average of 1488fps. Now what impressed me was, that there was only 18fps between the fastest and lowest speed. (I certainly can't get Alliant Steel that consistent). There was no signs of pressure, but I was putting these through a 3 1/2" chambered gun, my SBE2. The patterns were good at 40 yards with a Kicks Modified.

I can probably get these over 1500fps, but I would prefer to find out the pressure in the 1488fps load first, before tweeking it more. I tested a varied selection of 35 - 36 loads with various charges and wads, with some interesting findings.