Grey Squirrels and the .22LR

Whitebridges

Good evening gents,

Is it me or are there more Grey's about than usual? I've seen and been shooting quite a few. I like to use a lower power round.

At the moment i'm on Remington Cbees. They look poor out of the box but now i've practiced a bit with them I've got it so I can land them on the right spot.

Hardly any RFD's stock low powered LR rounds where I live. I'm shooting them between 10 and 30 yards. OK some might say get a FAC Air Rifle but hang the expense I say.

Anyone else using these LP .22 LR rounds? Any opinions / views welcomed. Thank you.

gs2.jpg

I do a bit of grey bashing with my .22lr. I like to use Winchester subs or cci segmented hollow point rounds. Usually set up about 40 yards from the feeders with a good backstop and have shoot 30 in one afternoon so there is many around. FAC air is way to pricey and not as much fun as the .22lr. Personally I wouldn't bother with the air rifle but each to their own.

Hi WB, I still have a few cci cb longs left over from squirrel bashing, they do take a bit of getting used to. I seem to remember advocating the lr for squirrel a few years back, I also remember someone trying to give me a roasting for it :lol:

and why bother with an air rifle when these only put out 30 ft/lbs?

Edited by Paddy Galore!

I appreciate the replies gents.

The Cbees are 33grains and do about 40ft lb energy.

The gun is an Annie 1417 with SAK mod. Scope is a Meopta with milldots. I get no left / right variation with cbees. Gun is zeroed at 65 yards with RWS HP subs. All i need is holdover and hold under.

The thing that puts me off an air rifle (I have two both sub 12lb) is that the .22LR is a better option. I agree with you Paddy.

I was told that a .22 long doesn't work that well in a .22LR or is the "long" actually a Long Rifle?

I appreciate the replies gents.

The Cbees are 33grains and do about 40ft lb energy.

The gun is an Annie 1417 with SAK mod. Scope is a Meopta with milldots. I get no left / right variation with cbees. Gun is zeroed at 65 yards with RWS HP subs. All i need is holdover and hold under.

The thing that puts me off an air rifle (I have two both sub 12lb) is that the .22LR is a better option. I agree with you Paddy.

I was told that a .22 long doesn't work that well in a .22LR or is the "long" actually a Long Rifle?

not sure WB, I think it's just the case length. the CB part stands for conical ball so I was told. the 22 lr is deffo a better option imo, a spare mag loaded with them just in case I spot a squirrel or crow up in the canopy.

not sure WB, I think it's just the case length. the CB part stands for conical ball so I was told. the 22 lr is deffo a better option imo, a spare mag loaded with them just in case I spot a squirrel or crow up in the canopy.

I'll have a a look Paddy. I know a chap that puts shorts and longs through his LR and he's happy enough. I've never tried it.

As well as the squizzers i've been killing quite a few rabbits on a sports field with the cbees. They stay in the target, no over penetration.Not had a zinger yet.

When i'm on walkabout I normally carry three mags. One loaded with subsonics, the other with LP rounds such as Cbees and the other with RWS HP High Velocity. This way the bases are reasonably covered.

Originally it was the bullet that made the difference between long and long rifle.

Short and long nominally used 29grn bullets and long rifle 40grn.

The rifle in long rifle if I remember correct comes from the fact that messieurs Smith&Wesson first made the short and long as a small revolver or pistol round.

I think!

I've been giving these a try , there ok but you need a lot of hold over even at 30yrds but fairly accurate and very quiet ..

Still can't beat eley subs with the correct back stop :)

Humm, thanks Fruity. I hope to find a supplier locally. They look a better bullet than the cbee. God they are rough. Huge cavity but they do the job.

I have used a lot of Eley and they shoot well in my gun. However, they have a tendency to rub as they go in the chamber.This is why I stick to RWS instead of Eley.

My Annie will shoot anything pretty good bar Winchesters and Remington subs, so i'm a lucky boy I guess.

Edited by Whitebridges

Humm, thanks Fruity. I hope to find a supplier locally. They look a better bullet than the cbee. God they are rough. Huge cavity but they do the job.

I have used a lot of Eley and they shoot well in my gun. However, they have a tendency to rub as they go in the chamber.This is why I stick to RWS instead of Eley.

My Annie will shoot anything pretty good bar Winchesters and Remingtons, so i'm a lucky boy I guess.

They are a good bullet,worth a try if you can get hold of some ,just drop like a stone , Like using my fac air lol

Originally it was the bullet that made the difference between long and long rifle.

Short and long nominally used 29grn bullets and long rifle 40grn.

The rifle in long rifle if I remember correct comes from the fact that messieurs Smith&Wesson first made the short and long as a small revolver or pistol round.

I think!

Interesting UD. I've done a bit of reading and as usual you're right. I think.

It looks as though there aren't many "short" chambered guns about these days. Have you ever used one? The ammo is available though through quite a few RFD's.

No but did have a Winchester 69 unscoped that was designed to handle shorts, longs and lr and used plenty Winchester Superx HV hp shorts on rabbits in my mid twenties. They would sometimes stay in the rabbits but stop them very well!

Had a fox or two with it too. Nice rifle it was.