Projecting images from laptop; advice please.

Scully

Starting September I am due to start giving talks to various groups and not knowing if it will gather pace or not I want to avoid a big initial outlay if at all possible.

I've given quite a few demo's so the talking bit isn't a problem but what sort of equipment can I hire or do I need to link up to my laptop so I can show enlarged images on either a screen or suitable wall? Has anyone done this? Would be interested in hearing from those who have done this or have knowledge of what I need and how to set it up etc. Many thanks.

A decent LCD projector from any of the hire companies should work, usual connections are VGA, HDMI or display port depending on what brand your PC is. They should help you indentify the correct lead required.

FN & F6 pressed at the same time will then allow you to duplicate the image on the laptop screen.

If you are using Powerpoint, just click on the slide screen logo at the bottom right of the screen. Use the zoomfunction on the projector lens and/or move the projector closer or further away from the wall or screen to get the image to the size you want it to be.

I have a HD projector and a screen that is 100" across the diagonal that is fed straight from the HDMI port of my Mac laptop. It is very good.

Both together cost less than £450.

You are welcome to borrow both until such time as you establish if it is worthwhile to get your own. I have a couple of mini DV adaptors too if your mac doesn't have the HDMI port built in.

I have a HD projector and a screen that is 100" across the diagonal that is fed straight from the HDMI port of my Mac laptop. It is very good.

Both together cost less than £450.

You are welcome to borrow both until such time as you establish if it is worthwhile to get your own. I have a couple of mini DV adaptors too if your mac doesn't have the HDMI port built in.

That is incredibly kind of you grrclark. I use an Apple MacBook Pro so it would probably all be compatible. I may take up your very kind offer if I can't source anything locally. Thankyou.

If there's a TV available a £30 Chromecast could be suitable, if not there are a number of pico-projectors available from China for<£200, I've got both and both work well.

This one https://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/LED_Projectors/Mini_Projectors/1080p-HD-DLP-Pocket-Projector/#specsa

Has android built in and can be used as a big screen tablet or connected to a PC as a second screen.

Failing that I also use a programme called airparrot2 which allows you to screen cast to another screen on the same wireless network