Shooting Glasses

This is my first year shooting and due to the sunny weather lately I've found I'm particularly sensitive to a bright sky. My cap is no longer enough to sheild the sun and I need to get some glasses as my eyes end up streaming. I borrowed some Napier glasses on one of the stands last week (with interchangeable lenses) and they were a relevation. My problem is that they retail for over £50 and I'm baulking a little at the outlay.

Can any of you guys advise if you think the Napier glasses are worth it or if there are any decent (cheaper)alternatives.

SDP,

When it comes to glasses, you get what you pay for matey, I now use a pair of Zeiss shooting glasses that cost me over £200, but they give me perfect vision, 'cos there's a tad of prescription in them, which I need 'cos I spend all day gazing at a VDU screen..!! :stupid:

I've tried the Topgun jobbies at £20 a set, but ditched them pretty quickly as they were next to useless..!!

Cat.

I bought Oakleys after trying Jonseys.

The lenses are very good and you can't even tell you are wearing them.

I got a set with 3 interchangable lenses, however, I still haven't managed to change the lenses for fear of breaking them - they snap in and out, but I am too much of a coward.

Mungler,

I'm told there virtually unbreakable, even for a hamfist like you, so do as Jonesy does, invest in a set..!! :stupid:

Cat.

Cat,

I bought a set, but I have been using the lenses that came in the glasses - there are two extra lenses (un used in the box).

When we meet next you can show me how to break a set, I mean change the lenses.

M

Oakley M Frames are expensive yes but good.

Ebay no doubt will have some Foakley's if you want that shape but don't want the cost of real Oakleys. Although I wouldn't fancy your chances of being able to change the lenses. Mungler, that's not your problem is it?

Also cyclists use a similar array of lenses to us so no need to stick to the shooting type glasses if you need to be thrifty.

I'm a label kind of girl so went for the Oakleys. My philosophy being if you can't shoot well, look good :stupid:

Catamong,

Can you recommend anybody with regards to prescription shooting glasses. Not worried about interchangable lenses, just want something reliable with maybe a single tint.

SS :stupid:

SS,

I got mine from these people, I went for the Zeiss Sports types with the pinky orange, (Dame Edna..??) tint.

http://www.stewardsportsglasses.co.uk/index.htm

They're not cheap, but they're excellent quality.

I'm going to order another pair with a darker tint for very bright light conditions and for driving, as ones street cred rating is zero wearing pink glasses behind the wheel of ones Porsche..!! :blush:

Cat.

Try Vision Express the high street opticion.

I had some made for me last year,the lenses are a pale yellow but when you look through them all the colours are the correct colours but the contrast is much better.

If you have an old frame they will fit them in that,but I find a slighty larger frame beneficial than the new styles.

I think I paid about £90 for them.

The purists among you may cringe now... I got some new army surplus ESS ICE glasses for £10. I haven't tried them out claybusting yet but I'm very pleased with the lenses. They come with clear, yellow and dark lenses which take a couple of minutes to change.

Apparently they're the same as currently used by UK & US forces in Iraq/Afghanistan which seems like a good endorsement. :good:

The purists among you may cringe now... I got some new army surplus ESS ICE glasses for £10. I haven't tried them out claybusting yet but I'm very pleased with the lenses. They come with clear, yellow and dark lenses which take a couple of minutes to change.

Apparently they're the same as currently used by UK & US forces in Iraq/Afghanistan which seems like a good endorsement. :sly:

So are these any good, as I'm looking at buying some glasses for the field with a low budget?

Apparently they're the same as currently used by UK & US forces in Iraq/Afghanistan which seems like a good endorsement. :good:

I bought a pair of these on Saturday from a surplus store in Basildon for a tenner. They come with interchanable lenses of smoke, yellow, and clear, and a carry case.

I went shooting at JJ's and tried them and quite liked them; comfatable to wear, good vision and easy on the eye - I liked them.

I've also just received some safety specs by Keep Safe called Spitfire; they're around £4.65 + VAT if you're on a tight budget and come in smoke or clear. They seem quite strong and well made; the arms are a gunmetal grey, the metal arms making them look more expensive than they are (especially the smoke ones!). They seem comfortable to wear but I won't know untill the weekend what they're like to shoot in.

I also tried some Keep Safe Jaguars but it would be easy to look over the top of these once the gun is mounted and you're looking down the rib (just in case anyone was going to 'google' these safety specs).

"I bought a pair of these on Saturday from a surplus store in Basildon for a tenner. They come with interchanable lenses of smoke, yellow, and clear, and a carry case".

I reckon mine are probably from the same place. See link..

http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/ishop/853/shopscr483.html

They're the ones - that's the place! Comfortable to wear, and no frames to obscure the view. Liked them. On a less sunny day I would like to try the yellow lenses though. If it's sunny enough this w/e, I'll be trying these.