heavier lead loads 36-42g

Guest cookoff013

Look at noblesport data. Start with the first charge. I think it was for 40grams. But the 42g load uses more powder.

I'd probably use that starting charge with 42g because it doesn't exceed the 42g Max charge, you get me?

Not only that it still uses the cx2000.

Use big shotsizes if you can.

• 1 year later...

Thanks cookoff, has anyone used the A0 powder in these loads? If so how did you find them?

Yes - highly effective and very smooth. 39g of #5 will knock down pretty much anything.

PM me if you haven't managed to find a recipe by the time you read this and I'll dig my reloading book out this evening and send what I've got.

For the 42g load I think the gualandi steel wad, its called mg42 or superg magnum.

I suspect if you use the Steel wad in the lead loads suggested in the website you might incur in very high pressures. Data from one the recent batches of A0 (which is slower than it was a couple of years back) i tested while in Italy (batch 02/16)

12/70 CX2000 1,9 x 37 Gualandi SG17 finished at 58 mm

PMAX:606, 612, 598

V2,5: 395, 402, 387

if you try 1,95 x 40 with a steel wad, taking into account that 0.5 gr more powder increases pressure by 50/70 bar, 1 gram lead more will give you 30-40 bar and the wad's stiffness will increase pressure by 50/80 bar; you're easily well over the 800 bar

I would think that in line with their factory loads, NSI would use B&P Z2M 15 (which reduces pressure by 50/70 bar compared to the Gualandi) for 37+ load; or Gualandi SG 17 for the 36

It's also very important to note how, otehre than the first 2 loads, they use very low power (684) to low-medium power (686) primers; if you decide to unse one of these loads you need to adjust the primers accordingly.

Based on the proofing above, i would suggest:

12/70 CX2000 1,9 x 38 Z2M15 finished at 58 mm

12/70 CX2000 1,9 x 40 Z2M15 finished at 58.5

For the 42g load I think the gualandi steel wad, its called mg42 or superg magnum.

Noted above, yes the Steel wad raises the pressures quite a bit, I have shot a lot of A1sp, 36 gram, SG 17 finished at 58 mm, it is my current driven hare/fox cart, I also use it for my last round in the semi for geese and other big flying things.

I belive that the Z2M loads above should give a more even pattern than the SG wad especially in the edge of the pattern. /Best regards Christian