Cleaning barrel bluing

Masterplan

Chaps,

Possibly a stupid question...

I've got a Beretta 690 and a 626 that I adore. The 690 is brand new and the bluing is perfect, the 626 on the other hand is 30yr old and the bluing is getting tired but still quite good considering.

Question is, do you guys clean the barrel bluing with anything? Do you oil it down with a rag or have any routine to keep it in good condition?

It's mostly about the 626 as its otherwise perfect.

Cheers in advance

Masterplan

If there is light surface rust, I would use 0000 grade steel wool and 3 in 1 oil. Put oil onto steel wool and GENTLY rub affected area. Wipe barrels with toilet paper (softer than kitchen towel) I then use a microfibre cloth which has been soaked in 3 in 1 and the surplus allowed to drip off, to wipe down the outside of all trhe metalwork. I carry a small aerosol can of 3 in 1 in the car, if it looks like it could rain, I spray the outside of the barrels and wipe off surplus with bog roll. It may be time for a re blue though, by what you describe.

Thank you both for the advice.

The barrels are actually ok, but there is a line of surface rust along the top of the fore end where it meets the barrels. When I compare the 626 to the 690, the bluing does look slightly faded in comparison.

So there is no issues oiling the entire gun? I was worried it may ruin the bluing.

Sweat from your hands, water and blood, either yours or from animals/birds, will all do serious damage to the barrel finishing. Having wiped the outside of the METALWORK only, I then avoid touching the metal and slip the gun into a silicone impregnated sock for storage. I use the socks on all of my guns to avoid handling the metal and to prevent gun cupboard dents and knocks. Just bought 2 more socks off the bay for £10, well worth the money. If you do handle the gun, wipe down metalwork with oily cloth before storage, try and avoid the woodwork though.

Edited by Westley

I clean mine the normal way ie scrub bore then lambs wool jag lightly coated in oil them the barrels I use a tooth brush to clean were the action joins the barrels it gets in all the. Nooks and crevices I dip it in oil never had a problem with rust then when I put it in the cabinet I wipe it down with a oily stag being careful to avoid the stock I put it in cabinet holding it with the drag so not to get finger prints on it Hope this helps you