dark specks/spots on stripped stock

n&h

Evening all. I have just stripped the factory poly finish on the wife's 686 onyx, and there are lots of little dark spots almost like it has been dabbed by a marker pen or mildew. Are these normal or is there a way to remove them? (Or do i have to get her a new shotgun!!) I have previously stripped and oiled my own stock with good results and have used the same process. Thanks for your time.

Stripped it with nitromors. Sanding hasnt made much difference .Was thinking it was a reaction with the wire wool, but I used a toothbrush on the chequering so theres no reason for it to be on the chequering aswell. Thanks for the help so far.

I believe they are water marks. The water having penetrated the lacquer over time and being unable to escape or dry out quickly.

Take a look at this water mark on our table. The table was finished, by me, with Liberon Danish oil and we had a saucerless plant pot standing on it for a few months. Alas it is water marked for good and will have to be stained it to match.