Pinks disorientated in the fog

scolopax

With the fog blanketing the county last night there was party of Pinks flying very low around and over the village from about seven until at least ten (I am early to bed these days). I live probably five miles past their normal furthest feeding grounds from their roost.

Is it normal for geese lost in the fog to circle over the lights of a village? And anyone know what normally happens if the fog stays all night, do they keep flying until it clears, or just land somewhere and hope for the best until day light?

I remember as a boy in East Yorkshire a party of pinks (they were too low to have been a skein) almost landing in our garden. They were no more than 20m up and were several miles from the Humber estuary. I could hear the noise of their wings in the landing position quite clearly. The fog meant a visibility of no more than 30m.

It happens a fair bit in North Norfolk in thick fog. They seem to take off from their inland feeding grounds at dusk and are attracted to the town lights , like song birds around a lighthouse. They keep it up for several hours before finding somewhere to settle. Playing felds seem a favoured place to land , but one mate on a wide section of the Kings Lynn road at Harpley found himself driving through a big flock that teyed to roost on the road.

making that low humming noise they make when they are not sure where they are.

Followed by the Alarm call's and thump thump thump as they hit the deck Sorry could not help myself.

I found prolonged Fog splits the big lots up First morning of Fog can be fantastic sport anymore especially if it's all day Geese are few and far between and normally take a couple of clear days for them to get back to the normal daily routine.

Add to the mix the Moon we had they are all over the place.

Keeps you on you toes though trying to outwit them. Proper Fowling

The same as last night, their wing beats were clearly audible, and they must have initially flown 180 degrees in the wrong for their roost

They must have flown from your house to mine. They were still going at 1 AM. One pass was directly over the garden and low. I considered getting the shotgun out and waiting for the next round, but thought better of it.

Rick