Solway expedition

tomaddy525

Afternoon chaps,

As I'm home for a "reading week" this week father and I decided to take a trip to the Solway this morning to try our luck at the pinks, given the good wind we have up here. We arrived early at 5.15 and walked out to our chosen spot - it took ages for dawn to break! Geese were soon in the air, drifting from our left to right across us up river, all frustratingly close but not close enough (as per)! Out of the blue five pinks came hurtling down wind about 40 yards up, but moving so quickly they only offered us one shot each, and ****** me we both shot the same goose!! Even though we were both well chuffed to get one of those magical geese and were a lot happier to watch the remainder of the flight pass in front of us. At around 8.30 all the geese had gone but the upcoming tide began pushing ducks around. We had three pairs of mallard pass along the near side of the river in front of us offering long shots to no avail, until one pair got pushed slightly closer by the gusty wind where we both bagged a bird each, with one offering a good long water retrieve for the dog. Absolutely loved being back out on the shore for probably my only flight of this year, here's a couple of photos from the flight:post-26603-0-55282100-1447167085_thumb.jpg

post-26603-0-84004600-1447167127_thumb.jpg

Edited by tomaddy525