Gas saftery cert engineer- Stevenage

ferguson_tom

My letting agent adds a damn sight more than 10% - hence I found my own gas engineer and I fitted the 10 year rated smoke alarms and CO monitor to our rental.

Did you know about the relatively new requirement to fit smoke alarms with 10 year life batteries?

The letting agent did some of our customers before we did and charged plenty, plus the gas engineers didn't even do basic checks, they just basically wrote the form out.

One lady quizzed me on why I was removing a gas fire to check the catchment space! " the other man never did that"!

There's also carbon monoxide detectors required if there's a solid fuel appliance in the room and the legionaires (sp?) risk assessment that will be required.

Thanks lads, I might be swearing here but i am thinking of going for either homeserve or British gas landlord covers for gas, drainage, electrics and plumbing which also includes a boiler service and the gas cert. For about £13 a month seems a good idea to me unless I am missing something.

Our estate agent quoted £75 plus vat for gas cert which looking online doesn't seem horrendous. £65 to fit the carbon monoxide did seem steep though!

I have contract cover with British Gas.

I leave the emergency number with the tenant and it's one less thing to worry about.

I pay a fair bit more than £13/month though.

Homeserve were £13.00 but that was with £50.00 excess for callouts. I think British gas is about £17.50 a month with no call out excess.

How have you found British Gas?

Here, have a read. The term 'competent' is in there somewhere. A bit like to work on gas you need to be deemed 'competent' ie hand over money and get a piece of paper after doing a course.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/legionnaires/what-you-must-do.htm

No requirement to attend a course.

The risk assessment procedures are set out and any landlord who can wield a thermometer, ask the tenant some simple questions and complete a form should be able to be seen as competent.

Or, of course, you could just pay your agent to hire an "expert".

Homeserve were £13.00 but that was with £50.00 excess for callouts. I think British gas is about £17.50 a month with no call out excess.

How have you found British Gas?

To be fair their service has been very good. I have had them out a couple of times, and came out pretty quickly resolved the issues painlessly.

The deal is i get an annual boiler service, no parts and labour charges or excess with unlimited callouts and a Gas certificate.

My only criticism is that they put an advisory on my flue type when they were the ones who advised me to get that one 2 years back.

No requirement to attend a course.

The risk assessment procedures are set out and any landlord who can wield a thermometer, ask the tenant some simple questions and complete a form should be able to be seen as competent.

Or, of course, you could just pay your agent to hire an "expert".

Hmmm ok. I'll leave it as that .

Hmmm ok. I'll leave it as that .

We are attacking this from different angles.

If you are a gas engineer, and offering a paid for service to risk-assess any number of different properties against legionella, then it is probably prudent to establish your competence with a piece of paper.

If, however, you are a small landlord, with intimate knowledge of the property involved, who has already removed any likely sources of the bug (loft tank, redundant water-piping) it seems somewhat OTT to pay someone else to conduct the box-ticking exercise.

We are attacking this from different angles.

If you are a gas engineer, and offering a paid for service to risk-assess any number of different properties against legionella, then it is probably prudent to establish your competence with a piece of paper.

If, however, you are a small landlord, with intimate knowledge of the property involved, who has already removed any likely sources of the bug (loft tank, redundant water-piping) it seems somewhat OTT to pay someone else to conduct the box-ticking exercise./

How would you know if you had a bio film and what chemicals to treat it with>

How would you know if you had a bio film and what chemicals to treat it with?

Edited by Winston72