Roost Shooting

Browning

I've been looking for shooting rights for a couple of months now and perseverence

has paid off !

I've been invited to a local farm roost shooting with the farmer, just to meet me and make sure I'm safe etc etc. There'll be possible introductions to a couple

of his mates farms if we get on OK.

I've shot clays for 20 years and decoyed, but never really done much roost shooting, can anyone give me any advice ? I'd like to make a reasonable impression !

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info gents. I've shot sporting clays and walked up game for 20 years so I'm happy with high birds etc.

1st night out was pretty quiet, the farmer had hammered them all week so

there wasn't much doing. Had 4 for 8, which was better than may mate so he was

happy.

Left it a week and went up on my own, still very quiet but came away with 12 for 18, and a couple of rabbits, so at least the pots full.

Pigeon numbers in general seem to be building around here now, so hopefully

next month will be exciting !

You seem to have an excellent cartridge to kill ratio for roost shooting. If youre on your own thats great; but if your in the company it may pay to mis a few!

A few years ago, one of my customers invited me to a roost shoot, and to meet members of his shoot, with a view to being invited to join. As dusk turned into darkness all the guns met up in the farm yard, where I was introduced. I did not think that I had shot very well, but at that point I had not been roost shooting before. To summerise, I had shot more pigeon than the rest of the guns combined. I think that I just got lucky, but there was a couple of dislocated jaws. Needless to say I was not subsequently invited to join the shoot, but I have been back roost shooting, with less spectacular results.

Oh, when I saw the jaws start to drop I did not mention the grey squirell that I shot!

webber