Does barrel length increase pattern density??

naddan28

Just a debate between me and another member (beatiingisbest). I reckon as the barrel length increases then the pattern density would also increase with the additional barrel functioning somewhat similar to a choke. Beating disagrees reckons its down to swing (think he is taking salsa lessons on the sly :lol:), so what does everyone else think?? Would 24, 26, 28 and 30" versions of the same gun without chokes all pattern the same???

Apart from generally weighing more, as the barrel gets longer, the only other thing a longer barrel can be said to do is get you a couple of inches closer to the clay / bird.

Since the constriction doesn't come until the choke I wouldn't say the extra length worked like a choke, more like a longer barrel :lol:

I don't think swing has anything to do with density of the pattern either. That's all down to the maker, the forcing cones, the coating on the inside of the barrel, manufacturing technique, tolerances, shot, powder, wad type and ultimately the choke.

What's swing got to do with it, are we talking golf here..??

As Pin says, it's all down to the amount of choke you have in the barrel, the length of that barrel doesn't matter.

Cat.

Not sure about the swing thing! I just assumed having a slightly longer barrel would prevent the shot spreading ealier, therefor increasing pattern density!

What's swing got to do with it, are we talking golf here..??

As Pin says, it's all down to the amount of choke you have in the barrel, the length of that barrel doesn't matter.

Cat.

Not sure about the swing thing! I just assumed having a slightly longer barrel would prevent the shot spreading ealier, therefor increasing pattern density!

Ask Al Capone about pattern density and short barrels, he had the answers :angry::blush::blush:

:lol: D2D

thanks guys, I just assumed lengthier barrels would result in better pattern density. Appears beating was right (apart from the swing bit :yes: )! Sorry to doubt you :lol::blush:

:blink: :yes:

I always heard that longer barrels make it easier to have a steadier swing though :angry:

well why didn't u say that and not just swing :lol: thought you had been having salsa lessons to impress those girls at college when you start :blush:

thanks guys, I just assumed lengthier barrels would result in better pattern density. Appears beating was right (apart from the swing bit :lol: )! Sorry to doubt you :lol::blush:

:yes::lol:

I always heard that longer barrels make it easier to have a steadier swing though :angry:

well why didn't u say that and not just swing :lol: thought you had been having salsa lessons to impress those girls at college when you start :blush:

:blink: :yes:

i have to say that i think that barrel length does make a difference. on my berretta A303 i have two different barrels and multi chokes. i find that with identical chokes, i will do more damage to a stationary target such as a sitting rabbit with the longer barrel. i don't know why this is, i will shoot at some pieces of paper at the weekend and do a pellet count inside a circle to get you an answer.