architect needed

Aaz

They do and will rob you blind. Find a local recommended one who offers a fixed fee and have a good idea what you want before you contact. Worth getting a local builder in, explain what you want / could have and then you can direct the architect.

Plans I'm working from at the moment could have been drawn by my 3 year old.

You will soon realise why we refer to them as "comics" ( plans)............always get fixed fee and don't let them base it on projected costs and keep your budget 10k below what you want to spend then what they design should come in on budget....lol oh and don't forget to factor in the vat.......

We had a loft conversion last year. Based on this, permit me the following observations.

Firstly, tour the area and get an external view of existing conversions and see what works for you and your property.

If you're not doing the work yourself then, based on our experience, I would get quotes from loft conversion companies rather than just builders who also build lofts. We invited three loft companies and a builder and there was a £10k difference between them. With the loft companies the architect, building regs and party wall act work came as part of the package.

Ask each to provide you details of former clients and their work and to arrange site visits so you can see first hand the quality of what they do and if other clients were happy with everything.

Our selected company does about 40 lofts per year. Base upon this experience they have seen many of the wrinkles and have work round solutions. One example was optimum use of space with stair designs which was critical for us. The builder wanted to use part of our bathroom to take in the stairs. The selected company designed climb as they turn stairs without affecting other rooms.

Also, create as much space and light as possible (& money will allow). It's a complete waste of money to end up with a glorified attic. We created a side dormer to take the stairs and en-suite; a three windowed dormer overlooking the garden at the rear; and, two velux windows at the front (road side). Both dormers were pitched roofed and let into the existing ridge line to get height in the loft and not ending up looking like sheds parked on the roof.

All of this work gave the result we wanted. We managed to utilise all of the existing roof space, ending up with a roof room some 22 ft x 12 ft x 8 ft high. A lot of work but worth is as we intend staying here at chez nous.

We did a large rear facing loft extension in 2008 (nothing seen from the front of the house / road). More recently we did a loft conversion on a B2L in 2013 (and following the principles set out below).

All architects once had a dream to do the next Lloyds building but most end up doing soul destroying domestic extensions and loft conversions.

The architects we used in 2008 came up with a daft scheme full of poncy detail and 3 mini dormers - I understand the attempt to put design flare into the mundane but we took the builder's advice and went as wide, as high and as big as possible and the end result was knock out. It's all about getting as much usable space for the £ being spent.

We went for a large single span flat roof dormer and gained an extra 30% of usable house space. As flat and boring and ugly as the dormer was, I never bothered to go to the bottom of the garden and look back at the house.

If you're going for something simple or down a well trodden path then just look for a firm of structural engineers who can knock a plan together / refine your own base drawing.

We now regularly use a firm of structural engineers who have an in house CAD operator and a software program that can also knock out enough plans and detail for a building regs application.

I would add that we moved 2 years ago and our house sold in the first week it went on the market and to the first people who saw it. People love the whole adult space from the rest of the house that a loft conversion brings - go for a big master bedroom, bath / shower room and a dressing room that can double as a spare bedroom.

And the last thing the builder said on adding value to a property was adding rooms (and rooms that specifically can be delineated as bedrooms).

Edited by Mungler