Domestic LPG help please

Diceman

Just bought a house with lpg central heating and hob. When I took possession the bulk tanks were empty. Had a delivery today and followed the instructions they shoved thro the door, turning on the vapour control valves on the tanks and the emergency shutoff outside, but I can't relight the boiler or hob and can't smell or hear any gas coming through the hob burners. Am I missing something? Can't find any additional valves inside the house and even if there were I don't think anyone has been in the house since the tanks ran dry to turn them off (central heating was left on by the absent owner to keep a bit of heat in the house) any lpg experts got any ideas before I take a day off work to find a gasman?

Thanks in advance

D

Air Lock?

I know with our static if i change the bottle over after it has been run Empty i usually have to purge the system for a bit until anything lights

Usually use the hob pushing the control down whilst intermittently flicking the ignitor until i smell gas or it catches then usually after a few goes everything else lights

Air Lock?

I know with our static if i change the bottle over after it has been run Empty i usually have to purge the system for a bit until anything lights

Usually use the hob pushing the control down whilst intermittently flicking the ignitor until i smell gas or it catches then usually after a few goes everything else lights

You would still hear pressure as the gas forces the air out if it was an air lock

Definitely over/under pressure valve has shut. Unscrew cover on regulator attached to the house and pull the toggle this resets it. You will then have to purge it through the hob. Might be best to get qualified engineer out to check it is safe, he will also be able to purge it safely for you.

yep get gasman out,when run dry safety valve in tank shuts down.jst ring the gas supplier,you may find they dont need house house access so dont have to be in?

fyi lpg market has got v competitive lpg compare will save you a fortune........I was paying 67p litre 7 yrs ago just fixed @ 27p/litre!!...

Hi all, thanks for the advice, actually found the solution today on the Irish Calor Gas site, much more information on there than the UK site! It was indeed the low pressure valve and an easy reset by pulling on the toggle once you know where to find it!

Now it's running I find out the boiler is shot, heating is ok but hot water won't run so I suspect a heat exchanger. Will get a boiler man out tomorrow to give me the bad news £££ ☹

Calor wanted 42p / litre but I haggled them down to 32p and £100 credit on the account - was quite pleased with that till I saw Dougall's 27p! Who did you get that deal from?

Edited by Diceman

got it off Calor!! who matched an offer from Avanti and another company called Flogas. + £250 free gas!! In reality I would not move as Calor service has been excellent..

go to lpgcompare www they look into it for you,you can either switch,which is now easy or use to negotiate with current supplier.I use a lot @7500 litres per annum which helps with the negotiation.fyi calor had me on 43p fixed til now,their,1st offer was 34p....they will price match if you tell them the company and the offer,especially if you have been with them a bit or use a fair amount.atb.