roost shooting time

roadkill

The last 2 Saturdays up here, the birds have started to arrive at the woods for around 4.00pm. (1600). The wood that I go to, I get shooting from around 2.00pm. but as it is not a roosting wood, they stop at around 4.00pm. I then drop back into a fir wood and shoot there until around 5.00pm.

Over the last two weeks the birds have all gone to roost in my Norfolk wood and we have been back to the cars by 16.30. The weather has been stormy with heavy cloud so dusk has come early. I think you will find 16.30 is much too late to start. 14.00 would be a better time . gives every one time to get into position well before the birds start arriving about 15.00.

Very similar to anser2 , the first week the guys pick up there permits around 1 pm , after one or two are shown what wood there going in most of the guns are in position by 2 pm and they stay till the Pheasants start going to roost.

The second , third and forth week you can add on 30 minutes each week to the time you start , weather have to be taken in consideration also , if the day is calm with very little wind they ( pigeons ) will leave it till late before they head back to the woods where as if it rough with snow showers ect they will drift backwards and forwards more or less all day.

Also it makes a difference in how many woods are occupied by guns , as you will find the novelty soon wear off if they don't get much shooting and by the forth week going for the last hour or so is normally long enough ,