A few more Louisiana coyotes

old06

Sorry guys I just can't master this photo upload stuff they ate from 2008 the others were 2012 this one was with a Remington Model 742 semi auto 30-06 hand load of 165 Hornady SPBT with 2800 fps got that one at 275 yds he had to cross about 150 yd open natural gas right a way that goes the with of out 900 acers from one end to the next lease is over 1400 yds

post-77065-0-30401100-1456011158_thumb.jpg

post-77065-0-06417700-1456011282_thumb.jpg

I used to be on an American forum >> Coyote Gods. They were based in Arizona near McNeal. They were a good bunch but woe betide anyone that came onto the site with a bad attitude to taking Coyotes with large caliber rifles and with pictures of coyotes that had been blown to bits and then left where they had been shot. the membership took a dim view of coyotes not being respected as a fine game animal and called yotes or yodel dogs and similar. They took no prisoners and the guys got a bad name for being this way. BUT if you read what they did and how they did it they were real masters and professionals at the job. Their weapon of choice was the rem 17 centrefire with Burger bullets which dropped said coyote dead as a nit on the spot with no exit wound and very little fur damage. They also trained dogs to tempt the coyote to come to the electric caller. the coyote thought that the dog had a squealing rabbit or something and came in to try to take the kill but they ran into the killing zone of the shooter. it was very technical and mostly close range out in the scrub bush. John Henry & Vic started the site and they used to host an international get together down at John Henry's place every year. They would go out calling and get drunk and generally have a good time. Women would cook and the guys would hunt. Sounds good to me. I was going to go but never got organised. The site sort of dwindled when John Henry got married and another guy took the site on. the site has gone down now. It is a shame that the instruction archives have gone as well because there was some clever stuff in there.

PS. >> the pictures have come over all ok. Do you shoot any game birds down there? And have you got any dogs?

Edited by fortune

Personally I didn't like the idea of coyote shooting CONTESTS where guys would just go out to see who could shoot the most coyotes in a given time for prizes or medals. I was in tune with the guys on Coyote gods that treated the coyotes as a game animal and not just a target to be destroyed " Because I can" sort of mentality. The coyotes were shot as pests and to harvest their fur. An ethical stance as it should be.

Yes I shoot limited bird once or twice we dove hunt very tight controlled when I lived in Alaska and North Dakota we hunted game birds a lot spruce hen and taramgen in Alaska and grouse pheasant dove chuckers I don't duck or goose hunt

some times we call coyotes we use a fox pro electronic call and mouth calls most of them we get during deer season so I shoot them with what ever I have with me

Coyotes kill so many fawns and calf we have several large cattle operations here that you would have to experience it somewhere I have a picture of a deer I shot with a huge chunk taken out of its rear ham and bite marks on the neck they are what they are

Edited by old06

Our red fox is a real pest here and can do a lot of damage to game and lambs. When the ewe goes down to have the second lamb the first born is in real danger of being taken. This is when numbers have to be managed. There is no fur market in the UK that I know of so there is only control. And damn good sport it can be.

Our red fox is a real pest here and can do a lot of damage to game and lambs. When the ewe goes down to have the second lamb the first born is in real danger of being taken. This is when numbers have to be managed. There is no fur market in the UK that I know of so there is only control. And damn good sport it can be.

folks don't know how fast there numbers can climb and how many they kill we shoot as many as we can and I can show you tracks and listen to the howling at night in packs sends chills down my spine

I know that the area of ground that you operate over is much larger than here but do you have organised driven coyote shoots? For the type of countryside that we have here this works quite well.>>> an amount of people get together and are separated into two groups. A few (the best) shots go as standing guns and the rest do the driving. A piece of ground is selected and how it is to be done, where the standing guns will be and what they will cover. The beaters go to the other end of the ground and give the guns time to get set up. The standing guns use shotguns and heavy shot from 3>>BB in the case of our red fox. The beaters work through the cover making noise by shouting and banging sticks against the cover. some use bird shot in shotguns to make impact sound and take any game going back over the line. Care and disipline has to be taken in the final stage because there are two armed groups closing in on each other. This can yield good results.

This link gives an idea of what it is all about. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LTsYj37IHhE

fortune I grew up in north east Pennsylvania and we did deer drives and in North Dakota we did it for pheasants just as you said worked very well but the way it is here most all the land is least and off limits for one reason or the other we tried several years ago to get something going on hogs but it flopped so we shoot then when we can and call at night I wish there was a market for the fur but the liberals shut it down and mange and diseases have moved in I have several pictures of ones that don't look good at all but the guys will cry because they see less deer and when I tell them what needs to be done there not interested I seen them let the coyotes walk because the don't want to screw up there hunt

Difficult. If you look in the forums on here, you will see and read in the craft & DIY section there is a lot of stuff about night vision equipment. a lot of us shoot at night and use infra red and image intensifiers to find and target the fox and silencers to mask and reduce the sound. I know that in the US silencers are a bit of a no go area but over here they are encouraged by the authorities due to general noise reduction in built up areas and personal hearing safety. The get out of this is to claim it under industrial noise pollution control just like you would wear ear / hearing protection if you were working a noisy machine such as a chain saw. If the gun is being used for the protection of stock it is an industrial tool. If they wouldn't give me permission to use one I would try to take the authority to court for breach of health & safety at work regs. They don't like that one up em.

189_8961rsz.jpg

243 with add on Archer night vision unit

185_8516rsz.jpg

Night vision unit swings around side of scope for daytime use through standard scope.

123_2330d.jpg

My win mod 70 in 223

114_1441fox4.jpg

Win 70 with fox

And

113_1375fox2.jpg

Sauer 202 in 243 with fox.

Edited by fortune

fortune great group of photos that is great to see and fine looking equipment on them firearms I'll touch on one just to show you were more alike then not the Winchester 70 in 223 I have its twin less the equipment it replaced a Remington 700 heavy barrel in 22-250 I used to shoot prairie dogs with in North Dakota shot out the barrel this a great exchange we have here LOL

I think that I bought that 70 in about 92 >> 93. I've smoothed out the lock up on the lugs a bit and put a slight lead angle on the bottom of the bolt where it picks up on the mag carrier both were a bit clonky and noisy. They are silky smoothe now. I made a muzzle flash hider which is why the blue went off of the end of the barrel and then threaded the barrel for the PES silencer and changed the win scope mounts for some better stainless mounts. I then glass bedded the barrel and stock to make it more stable. I reload for it using h4895 and a sierra 55 gameking bthp #1390 which is loaded fairly hot and will do 3450 over the chrono. that is only 150fps behind a 22.250 at 3600. This round has taken everything it has hit out to about 300 paces.

PS. contary to the popular American idea that we aren't allowed weapons you can see that we are fully tooled up, dug in and ready to go. >> Well some of us are. and, There are a lot that should never be allowed to get nearer to something more dangerous than a lolly stick.

Edited by fortune

picked the one I have in 90 I believe I would have to check my load but its a surplus powder AA2223 I think I do run sierra 52 match out of it been a while since I loaded for it I did 2000 at a time since settling here in 94 it don't bet the call to go out as often since I got it I've had love affairs with the likes of the 243 win 6mm Rem both went down the road the 2506 has been a main stay 22 mag I have a very accurate Ruger 77-22 mag and its twin in 22 LR