22lr or 22 mag?/22-250

hymax12uk

:lol:

Hi their guy just wondering if you can give me some info .I am thinking of buying a rifle ,at the moment i do not have my ticket so witch would be best to go for first .I realy dont whant to have more than one rifle so for a rough shoot (the odd fox ,rabbit ect ) and of course the permition of the police wich would be best to go for . 22lr 22 mag or would i get a fac first time for a 22-250 or 223 .i have shot rifles through the army for a number of years but never botherd to obtain my fac up until now any help to clear this up would help cheers :D

Tricky,

I would go for a 22rf best for rabbits ok for fox when close. 22mag....no good at anything. You realy need a silent gun for rabbits (ie 22rf) but failing that I would go for a .17 HMR. You may get a .22CF for the fox first time but it is too loud for rabitts and blowes them to bits.

I have to disagree about the .22 mag or .22WMR, I have used one of these and one of my friends has one with which he regularly despatches foxes over 100 yds, it is imho a very useful round which doesn't blow bunnies to bits and will sort bigger pests no problem. It may also be easier to obtain on a 1st fac than a .223 .22-250 etc

Hi Guys,

I had the Lincolnshire FLO visit me last Friday regarding my application for an initial FAC. He wouldn't entertain a .223 on an initial certificate but was happy with the .22 LR. Incidentally I am still a serving member of HM Forces and whilst it helped, he still wouldn't let me have a .223.

I'll try again next year.

Regards to all

Rimfire

Any CZ or BRNO bolt action will be very acurate. A mate of mine has one made in 1960 and it shoots less than 1" groups at 100yards. New one shoot just as well. old ones can be had from £70-£100. They are all but indistructable and being a 22rf the barrel will last several lifetimes. The only down sife is that the spare mags (10 shot) are £24. I carey 2 10-shot mags and 1 5 with me (5 is loaded with stingers just in case a close fox comes by).

Rimfire.

I would ask again regarding the centrefire. Lancashire constabulary granted me a .22 rimfire and a .222 centrefire on my first application both with sound moderators.

Did you say on your application the .223 was for foxes???

I have just cut this from the met police firearms enquiries website

Calibre usage

.22 rim-fire: small pests such as rats, rabbits and grey squirrels.

.22 Hornet, .220, .222, .22/250, .223: pest species including foxes

This is what THEY say are appropriate calibres.

The full link is here

If you are a BASC member give them a call.

Best of luck. :D