Balanced BBC article on UK gun ownership

Andy135

Guest cookoff013

sadly its a great article, but true.

i think some laws should be relaxed, and i believe there is a need for a 10 year licence period for one. sadly the only experience joe public has with guns are TV and the news.

I don't understand the comments about the sales person being under pressure. :hmm: Nor how they can go to prison for making simple mistakes. Very strange.

Often difficult to understand and usually because a titbit quote has been taken out of context, but I think he's emphasizing that the RFDs also bear a responsibility in upholding the law and a mistake could, in the extreme, lead to difficulties for the RFD or his staff.

Perhaps an relatively unbiased article but most of the interviewees gave ammunition to the antis - home defence for example or by focusing on the negatives.

If we're going to manage the PR of our sport then we need to raise awareness that press interviews should really only be given by those who are media trained i.e. leave it to the Associations that work for us by forwarded approaches for interview to them.

Edited by LeadWasp

Perhaps an relatively unbiased article but most of the interviewees gave ammunition to the antis - home defence for example (dear God what a berk) or by focusing on the negatives.

If we're going to manage the PR of our sport then we need to raise awareness that press interviews should really only be given by those who are media trained i.e. leave it to the Associations that work for us.

J. Swift was supposed to be working for us.

I think each person who shoots has a role to fill; even someone who isn't perhaps as articulate or well educated has a voice, and at times I think it's good for those who only have the well educated, highly polished agenda biased viewpoint on which to base an opinion, to see an alternative.

The best poster I saw during the hunting with hounds debate was the one of a nurse, whom it was claimed also hunted, as opposed to the stereotypical so called upperclasses with expensive public school educations and moneyed backgrounds.

At one end of the spectrum we have the well heeled and well connected, with their expensive Range Rovers, who stand at pegs and shoot driven birds for fun, and at the opposite those who scraped by to afford a basic gun and mooch about the hedgerows potting the occasional quarry.

As much as we need those at the top end, it is often those who are targeted by those who oppose us, based on nothing more than perceived class hatred and resentment.

The average working bloke is very rarely featured in Guardian anti diatribe, but is the most likely to be effected by the fallout.

Perhaps an relatively unbiased article but most of the interviewees gave ammunition to the antis - home defence for example or by focusing on the negatives.

If we're going to manage the PR of our sport then we need to raise awareness that press interviews should really only be given by those who are media trained i.e. leave it to the Associations that work for us by forwarded approaches for interview to them.

Maybe I missed something? with me viewing whilst eating my bowl of cornflakes, but emphasis was entirely on licences being granted for sport shooting only in the UK.......and stressing umpteen times that you cannot obtain a gun licence for home defence or personal protection reasons in the UK (excepting in NI) unlike The USA! Edited by panoma1

Not sure where the class/money argument comes from through quoting me?

The TV report was refreshing but the magazine article was more selective. The early interviewees were quite clumsy in their remarks. Later interviewees were much better. Home defence is a particularly dodgy issue and I think the answer given, and it's inferences, did the sport no favours. It may go by without a fuss but for me it was the one thing that leapt out of the interview. I agree that we all have a voice, but by setting yourself up to promote shooting, and by giving an interview, you need to do a good job. it wasn't going too badly until that point.

Not sure where the class/money argument comes from through quoting me?

Basically because most of those who are the most vocal, interviewed and quoted on mainstream tv are perceived to be from the public school educated class. Barney-White Spunner, he whom shall not be named, thingy Hart (former CA spokesman) the CEO of BASC and the block he replaced, shifty Swifty.

When was the last time joe bloggs was interviewed on mainstream BBC tv news praising shooting?

Edited by Scully

It still has nothing to do with giving an effective interview. Delivering a well thought, careful interview that ticks all the boxes, avoids bear traps, and does no potential harm is not dependent on your upbringing.

Edited by LeadWasp

The problem is, these people don't always represent the whole of the sport, for me, people like Andrew Mercer aren't a good advert. Yes he can handle a few awkward questions a little better but he's not going to attract the younger audience. I honestly think he came over quite awkward and weak for the head of a national body.

I had actually contacted Andrew Mercer prier to the interview for help and guidance on how to handle it. He was less than helpful.