Mongolian Wolf Hunter

impala59

No, not me, this fella on my arm. Was invited by my wife's family to go on a wolf hunt when last out there. Unfortunately my horse riding was not up to scratch, small, bad tempered beasts with high wood saddles. (don't really do horses anyway) (wimp) I was introduced to the Eagle which had been with the family for most of its life. The hunt is on horseback and the eagle tracks and kills the wolf, its as simple as that. If I look a bit scared (I was trying to be cool) I was, such an immense bird and I could feel its power. Maybe on our next trip I'll get over the horse thing! I need to take my camera too as we went lamping for deer at 4am in a 4x4 Lexus with an AK47 (still with select fire as issued to my brother-in-law) Got a fine doe at about 100yards and at first light delivered most of the meat to the elderly of the nearby community. We later that day first boiled then barbequed for the family. I can't believe that I did not have my camera with me! Next time will record all. Photos not up to usual standard for this thread but I thought the subject would be of interest

post-75958-0-33847000-1456264808_thumb.jpgpost-75958-0-22768600-1456264972_thumb.jpg

. Did you sleep in a yurt or in a solid construction ?

We have stayed in a yurt (ger locally, pronounced girrr) and also in Ulaanbaatar in the most hideous Russian built apartment very solid, square and ugly with central heating literally piped from across town in 2" bore pipes. We have also stayed in what the locals called a "holiday camp" which had the most odd little wooden chalets reminiscent of Swiss alpine chalets. My wife's family are originally from Darkhan which is the second city after UB. The country really is a fabulous place with nearly half the population still living the nomadic life with their families and animals. Planned for our next trip is a visit to a distant relative way out on the steppe, deer hunting, marmot hunting and hopefully the wolf hunt. The wolf is revered for its power and strength and the wolf meat empowers the hunters and their families, every part of the wolf is kept and used. I hope we can go during Naadam which is a festival of horsemanship, wrestling and archery. I do fear for this unspoilt country as the western and eastern conglomerates try to buy up tracts of land to exploit the mineral wealth, Hopefully, the politicians will not cede to the dollar, yen pound, euro or whatever other currency is dangled in their face. They have been free from the Soviet yoke since the '90s and are the most welcoming people I have ever met. Twice the size of France with the population of South London, this is one of the last unspoilt places on earth, I'm lucky to have been there, I will go back, I may even retire there eventually

We have stayed in a yurt (ger locally, pronounced girrr) and also in Ulaanbaatar in the most hideous Russian built apartment very solid, square and ugly with central heating literally piped from across town in 2" bore pipes. We have also stayed in what the locals called a "holiday camp" which had the most odd little wooden chalets reminiscent of Swiss alpine chalets. My wife's family are originally from Darkhan which is the second city after UB. The country really is a fabulous place with nearly half the population still living the nomadic life with their families and animals. Planned for our next trip is a visit to a distant relative way out on the steppe, deer hunting, marmot hunting and hopefully the wolf hunt. The wolf is revered for its power and strength and the wolf meat empowers the hunters and their families, every part of the wolf is kept and used. I hope we can go during Naadam which is a festival of horsemanship, wrestling and archery. I do fear for this unspoilt country as the western and eastern conglomerates try to buy up tracts of land to exploit the mineral wealth, Hopefully, the politicians will not cede to the dollar, yen pound, euro or whatever other currency is dangled in their face. They have been free from the Soviet yoke since the '90s and are the most welcoming people I have ever met. Twice the size of France with the population of South London, this is one of the last unspoilt places on earth, I'm lucky to have been there, I will go back, I may even retire there eventually

You sir are one very lucky man ... I always said to my other half that I'd love to go to China and the Mongolian stepp I have friends who fly goldies but nothing would compare to flying at wolfs and doc from off horse back from on the stepp. I hear that it gets very cold at night getting to below minus so a good stove/fire in the yurt is a must. I too hope that the western way doesn't sink its claws in to far and end up destroying a beautiful country like what's happening all to Oftern . There culture and there traditions need to be kept going not changed or lost compleatly. Such simple stuff as the door to the gerr (yurt) always facing south and the budda to the north of the yurt also were the guests are seated. Such stuff is so simple of a tradition but a tradition that has been for thousands of years. It would be a crying shame to lose such a beautiful tradition as the yurt on the steppe just because so toffs want mineral rich lands to destroy ..