Torque Value

chrisjpainter

I recently crashed my car so am on the look out for a replacement. The idea of one of the newer ecoboost 1 litre petrol engines is appealing; the BHP and acceleration are comparable as well as the emissions, but against a 1.6 diesel, the torque figures are significantly reduced. I regularly carry a pretty hefty kayak on the roof (12ft+ long and pretty heavy sit-on-top) and i can be taking it 200 miles to North Wales as well as down to dorset. Would going for higher torque values give me a noticeable advantage when the yak is on the car, or does it not make a difference? I know it does with towing, but I'm not sure it'd have the same effect when the extra weight is on the roof.

Many Thanks

Chris

Edited by chrisjpainter

You'll not beat the torque of a modern diesel with a petrol engine. One litre petrol engine even turbocharged will still mean poor torque. You'll need a big petrol engine to get good torque, I have a tuned 2lt turbo petrol engine with 400bhp but only 360lbs/ft of torque and that's with lots of boost!

My wifes diesel has 250bhp but well over 400lbs/ft as standard!

I think unless you change driving style you will miss the torque on those long hills and winding roads especially if you want over take the odd caravan. the small turbo motors are built to tick boxes... low emission and fuel consumption in the tests, not nice driving style (those cars don't come with small turbo motors)

But like the guy who drives a discovery all year to tow a caravan 3 weeks a year, you need to weigh up the options...

GO a test drive a few ecoboost units and take a friend to sit in the back (biggest chap you know to act as ballast and see how they perform)

Edited by HDAV

depends on the weight and drag is causes, i wouldnt have thought a kayak would make that much difference though, its the hills you're gonna notice it on, what are the figures for the torque?

Seat Ibiza ST 1.6d: 184 lb-ft

Ford Focus: ecoboost 1l petrol: 125 lb-ft

Ford Focus 1.6tdci 199 lb-ft

I do use the yak a fair bit and I live at the top of a hill with the river at the bottom (er...obviously!). The fuel savings aren't huge for the petrol engine either. Better for the environment, but they still don't deliver comparable MPG