SMK Xs78 co2 rifle

ironhorse

SMK Xs78 co2 rifle
I have been shooting for many years my first air rifle was a BSA mk1 meteor, after using it for a few months I decided to strip it down and see if I could improve its workings, and I did my mk1 was brilliant, it had plenty of power and accuracy weather it would have passed power restriction is unknown. Anyway as I grew up my interest in air guns dropped although I always seemed to have one put to one side, and interest would reoccur from time to time I have had quite a selection over the years, and for me the best air rifle I owned has to be Weihrauch HW77, however I parted with it some years ago regrettably, and since that time had the HW80 which I was not impressed by and bought the BSA Lighting which was ok, I was surfing the net recently and came across the SMK XS501, never had any dealings with SMK airguns springers’ or otherwise, but sort of liked the look of the xs501 and at the price worth a punt, not having a spring as such and fired with co2 I figured little loss of power, if it turns out to be a lemon not allot of money lost, so bought one and took it out to set it up, but after only 8 shots the bolt seized, I decided not to dismantle the gun myself as guarantee void, returned to the shop and handed it to the seller who scratched his head, he then contacted the distributer who also could not decide what the problem could be, anyway the shop wanted me to wait two weeks while they found the problem, I totally declined but a deal was struck on a second-hand XS78, ok a bit older but appeared to be well looked after, took the XS78 out with a scope and zeroed it in, I have to say I was very impressed with this gun, grouping was very good, power appeared to be more than enough, all-round very good impressed, I looked the gun up on the net and most posts echoed my thoughts on the gun, over a week no co2 leakage seals held ok, so I decide to strip the gun and do a complete tune, bought all relevant parts, again impressed on how easy and generally simple the gun came apart, I polished and cleaned just about everything related to the gun, installed all new parts and reassembled it, well what a difference, gone from being good to being great, put the gun on my chronograph and it returned a very impressive 11.7lb. My conclusion on this SMK XS78 the gun is light, the trigger has 3 way setup allowing for a good pull selection, maintenance of the gun is easy, and replacing of parts is easy and cheap, if you buy this gun off the self it is not only a good starter for anyone, and after a tune up it is capable of dealing with any quarry vermin wise at a price that pretty much anyone can afford. I have heard people put SMK down but think again.

post-10711-0-76328300-1457351113_thumb.jpg

Pretty much my own experience with this gun too.

The only points that I would add would be

• They can be quite noisy, but a silencer/moderator tones it down, although even with that fitted it's not as quiet as my silenced pcp.
  • I haven't tuned mine up to the limit, just in case the power variation due to temperature, (noticeable with a CO2 gun), pushes it over the limit

They are a usable little gun! Good fun as well. The tinkering and tuning on them can be very expensive and very addictive! If you arrange collection I have a modified AGS PCR1 stock that is different and very pointable that you can have!

pcrinplace_zps4a2a2dee.jpg

That very stock can be yours, just arrange collection! I am not using it any more!

One other point to address, they will need stripping and tuning, out of the box you will be lucky to see a power reading in excess of 10 ft lb. Also they will have many sharp edges that simply eat seals, the single stage trigger will also be gritty and woolly and will need a smooth down and polish at the very least. I know, mine did! Once done though they are great little rifles!

Edited by secretagentmole

If you are in the mood for spring powered try a Hatsan 60S, I dare you!

Been there! Found it to be very accurate once I had it to bits and took the burs off it and oiled it, but the piston and lever are not set right, after a few pulls the piston begins to grind on the inner sleeve, nothing you can do with it, took it back and we pulled another from a new box, and it too had the same floor, so although price is good and gun can be very accurate, poorly made.

Oh and where are you

Edited by ironhorse

Pretty much my own experience with this gun too.

The only points that I would add would be

• They can be quite noisy, but a silencer/moderator tones it down, although even with that fitted it's not as quiet as my silenced pcp.
  • I haven't tuned mine up to the limit, just in case the power variation due to temperature, (noticeable with a CO2 gun), pushes it over the limit

hello, i had the same a few years ago, kept the capsules in a small bag with a handwarmer through the winter, the bag had an inside pocket so warmer was not direct to capsules

They are a usable little gun! Good fun as well. The tinkering and tuning on them can be very expensive and very addictive! If you arrange collection I have a modified AGS PCR1 stock that is different and very pointable that you can have!

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=a1e7dd4e3a6eb5fe2f3025628e22c1f1&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=332141&p=3018537&md5check=4de723d1e5bc1e5e6922140f051a8363&isRte=1,B6nXayd9mu,true,false,rPb-Y1hvr2Y');//]]></script> pcrinplace_zps4a2a2dee.jpg&&0

That very stock can be yours, just arrange collection! I am not using it any more!

One other point to address, they will need stripping and tuning, out of the box you will be lucky to see a power reading in excess of 10 ft lb. Also they will have many sharp edges that simply eat seals, the single stage trigger will also be gritty and woolly and will need a smooth down and polish at the very least. I know, mine did! Once done though they are great little rifles!

that's a nice offer mr mole

Been there! Found it to be very accurate once I had it to bits and took the burs off it and oiled it, but the piston and lever are not set right, after a few pulls the piston begins to grind on the inner sleeve, nothing you can do with it, took it back and we pulled another from a new box, and it too had the same floor, so although price is good and gun can be very accurate, poorly made.

Oh and where are you

Norfolk so it will have to be Parcelmonkey or summat similar, I will carton it up and let you know the size.

that's a nice offer mr mole

Not using it anymore, the gun got put back in the standard stock and sold as I was not using it enough. This is basically kindling or something somebody can use, we got it cheap, it is not pretty but it does make it more usable!

Edited to add that I will even leave the QD studs in!

Edited by secretagentmole

SMK Xs78 co2 rifle

I have been shooting for many years my first air rifle was a BSA mk1 meteor, after using it for a few months I decided to strip it down and see if I could improve its workings, and I did my mk1 was brilliant, it had plenty of power and accuracy weather it would have passed power restriction is unknown. Anyway as I grew up my interest in air guns dropped although I always seemed to have one put to one side, and interest would reoccur from time to time I have had quite a selection over the years, and for me the best air rifle I owned has to be Weihrauch HW77, however I parted with it some years ago regrettably, and since that time had the HW80 which I was not impressed by and bought the BSA Lighting which was ok, I was surfing the net recently and came across the SMK XS501, never had any dealings with SMK airguns springers’ or otherwise, but sort of liked the look of the xs501 and at the price worth a punt, not having a spring as such and fired with co2 I figured little loss of power, if it turns out to be a lemon not allot of money lost, so bought one and took it out to set it up, but after only 8 shots the bolt seized, I decided not to dismantle the gun myself as guarantee void, returned to the shop and handed it to the seller who scratched his head, he then contacted the distributer who also could not decide what the problem could be, anyway the shop wanted me to wait two weeks while they found the problem, I totally declined but a deal was struck on a second-hand XS78, ok a bit older but appeared to be well looked after, took the XS78 out with a scope and zeroed it in, I have to say I was very impressed with this gun, grouping was very good, power appeared to be more than enough, all-round very good impressed, I looked the gun up on the net and most posts echoed my thoughts on the gun, over a week no co2 leakage seals held ok, so I decide to strip the gun and do a complete tune, bought all relevant parts, again impressed on how easy and generally simple the gun came apart, I polished and cleaned just about everything related to the gun, installed all new parts and reassembled it, well what a difference, gone from being good to being great, put the gun on my chronograph and it returned a very impressive 11.7lb. My conclusion on this SMK XS78 the gun is light, the trigger has 3 way setup allowing for a good pull selection, maintenance of the gun is easy, and replacing of parts is easy and cheap, if you buy this gun off the self it is not only a good starter for anyone, and after a tune up it is capable of dealing with any quarry vermin wise at a price that pretty much anyone can afford. I have heard people put SMK down but think again.

yer I got a th78d and put the t.r robbs tune up kit in it it's a nice little rifle I use it for plinking.

I bought one of these new a few years ago which had been supposedly tuned and fettled within legal limits by a well known Welsh expert/dealer. When I ran it through a chrono a week or so later it turned out that the gun was running at over 15ft lbs, which is way over the legal limit for a non-FAC gun - in the end I exchanged the gun for a springer.

If you have one of these guns and it's been tuned in any way then make sure you have a chrono as it's very easy to put them and yourself on the wrong side of the law.

I had a XS79 and whilst a bit front heavy it proved to be a very reliable, light and easy gun to use especially for squirrels and rook squab shooting. A friend fettled it and got it running around 11.5 ft/lb. I also had the 78 version but didn't like it as much. Whilst for me it had better handling, I was always aware of the drop off in power as the capsules got towards empty. The gun made a slightly different sound and that was time to change the capsules. I preferred the 79 just because it was less hassle.

Also had the underlever springer. God, what a beast! Couldn't get rid of it soon enough and get a 'proper' gun :lol:

Good to hear oldpigeonpopper - but looking forward to your unique method of preventing heat loss - if you put warm capsules into a cold gun and they are staying at the same temp then can you come round and do my house for me? Well known fact is that co2 works better when warm and that power drops off with Temperature - my gun frequently becomes soaked in condensation after a couple of hours shooting in the cold and I remove it from the bag indoors - using a co2 gun on vermin in such conditions would be unwise?

Edited by bruno22rf

I understood that taking a shot, releasing some pressure, caused the temperature of the CO2 in the capsule to drop. Less noticeable in the larger capsules used on the 79 versions. Is that not right, because if it is the temperature drop is caused internally and therefore insulating the capsule would make no difference?

CO2 pressure inside a capsule is determined by its temperature more than any other factor-if you try to increase the pressure physically the Gas will simply revert to liquid form. Several shots in rapid succession means a larger amount of Gas in the gun which in turns cools down the gun and thus the gas ( Hot travels to cold, don't forget ) and this causes the capsule to cool down and the pressure reduce ( CO2 is a refrigerant ) - pressure fall caused by this cooling action can drop velocity by as much as 100 fps. Only way round it is to wait at least 15 seconds between each shot and store the whole gun/capsule somewhere warmish until the shot is about to be taken.