Which Swarovski?

gibby

I'm set on switching my scope on the .308. I've had a fixed Schmidt on it but am starting to shoot abroad more at longer ranges and want the BT on the Swaro scopes so I'm not having to hold over.

Shooting to c400 yards max, most shots 200-300 and I'm torn between the Z5 5-25X56 or the Z6 5-30X50. Any opinions on these or if I should be looking at something with not so much mag?

Young eyes so not too concerned by opting for the IR.

Gibby

Rifle scopes are very personal so its up to you. Personally I would go for the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT.

For me x18 magnification is plenty, and I have never seen any real advantage above 44mm objective size in real life terms, especially when you factor in the extra weight.

Edited by zipdog

If money is no object go for the z6 but if your buying on a budget go for the z5 3.5-18x44 BT, I have one on my .17 hornet and it's a fantastic scope. I don't know what your shooting at those ranges but if it's deer and similar sized game the extra mag on the on 5-25 won't make any difference.

Excuse me neil w, but can you define drivel please.

Many thanks.

Fister I was referring to the shooting distance the op mentioned. 2-3 and 400 yards. If for live quarry its a guessing game with holdover. Does the Z8 have the ability to dial for distance ?

Another thought is how do you compensate for your drop ?

Neither of your chosen scopes come with target turrets. There is of course the X5

Not sure I'm with you. The ballistic turret would do the compensating.

And the Z8

I'm sure you've tested one out, any idea what their retail will be?

Not yet, they were only launched a few weeks ago and there are unkikely to be test samples for a while. They will be on sale though, soon if not already.

Big money, top end are 3k rrp. Its no big deal, just a z6 with a few tweaks and 8 rather than 6x erector tube. I saw and handled them in Germany last week, turrets are a but better.

Getting a bit north of what I want to spend. Do you think I'll regret not putting that bit more towards it and getting the IR for the occasions it'll come in handy?

Problem with the X5 is the turret is absolutely enormous for a hunting rifle and you have to hear the right stories from the right prople to 'wonder' why on earth they went from years of metric clicks to change to MOA???

Good scope as it is, it sells to Swarovski 'guys' not to people who really want a specific optical tool. It's a jack of all trades, master of none.

Very true , BUT , I shoot target , fox and hopefully soon deer with the same rifle so the "Jack of all trades " label suits me very well .