AA s510k or bsa r10 mk2

smiffyuk2003

Both are good guns but I think the Air Arms is a better built gun and needs no fettling. Personally I like the the look of the R10 mk2 in black pepper laminate.

You will get more shots from the BSA with its bottle over the S510 cylinder.

You need to handle both and see which you like best as both are good. A R10 Bo

Edited by figgy

Hi, I've been looking at a few posts lately around the Internet people raving about the aa s510,

How does this gun compare to the bsa r10 mk2 and which would you have for hunting?

Thanks

hi mate , I owned the BSA r10mk2 in .22 flavour and it was a fantastic short light hunting rifle, smooth action, accurate, and certainly did its job, to be honest I was sorry I ever got shut of it to buy the wolverine b,

I bought a new s510 ultimate sporter approx. 8 weeks ago and all I can say is it is the most accurate air rifle I have ever used straight out of the box, it really is pellet on pellet and I mean single hole groups out to 50 yrds,I bought it because I had read so many excellent reviews about them and actually had the chance to speak with someone from our FT club and asked him about the pro,s and con,s, he actually said there was no cons,,

I found the rifle loves jsb heavies 4.51,s and will group 5p size groups at 50 yrds with ease, the advantage over the BSA is that the stock is fully adjustable, also the side lever action on the sporter really is a pleasure to use, its effortless to re load a pellet and the side lever on the sporter is super smooth unlike the hw100kt, The build quality of the rifle really is first class

for the price it is an excellent hunting rifle and very good value for money , another advantage is you have an adjustable sling stud that can be used to set a bipod on and you can then move this back and forth to help with the balance of the rifle, because of the adjustable stock on the s510 ultimate sporter once you set it up to suit you it feels superb to shoulder and does feel better than the r10mk2 it also feels very well balanced,

all I can say is if I had to choose between the two rifles both in .177 then I wouldn,t hesitate to pick the s510 ultimate sporter up, it truelly is a superb air rifle

Thanks evo that made for a good read, my brother has just bought a s410 superlite deluxe about 1 hour ago I tried talking him into the s510 but he preferred the bolt action and overall look of the s4.. But I am already toying with another purchase and so far s510 is the front runner.

Thanks for the info

Andy

What advantages does a tune offer to a straight out of the box bsa r10 mk2 in.22?

I've seen a few mention a blueprint of this gun

Tuning can make a huge difference to an R10 - or make very little at all! On paper the R10 is a brilliant gun. It should be a winner. Unfortunately some aren't the gun they should be. The biggest problem is the reliability and efficacy of the regulator. Some R10's are absolutely fine - and others are pretty shoddy. Most tunes will replace it completely with one that's much more stable - either a HuMa or a Tench reg. These tend to be much more consistent. I had an R10 for a while. Pre-tune, when it worked, the spread was 17-20fps across a charge. It was also only shooting at about 10.5ft/lb until it got to about 120bar then would finally get up to full power - just in time for it to fall off the cliff and be out of air! A tune sorted it all out. With the Tench reg, the spread dropped to 9fps across the charge. The action was much smoother too and didn't chew pellets up!

But you get some R10's that never miss a beat straight from the box - and those are worth keeping as standard!

Having said all that, I'd take an AA S510 any day! I just shoot better with it. Mine's been playing up of late, but it just needed the trigger sears cleaning and it's right as rain again. I hunt with it and it's a great gun in the field. It's not got the shot capacity of an R10, but I've never used 80+ shots in one hunting trip - that'd be a seriously good day on the pigeons!

Cheers for that chrisjpainter,

I have lifetime warranty and servicing and a tune would probably void this which is a bit of a pain

It does, which is why it's only worth doing if there's something wrong with it and it's not getting fixed by BSA. I've heard stories of guns going backwards and forwards from BSA and each time they're 'returned to as new standard' the problem is that standard is useless, so what's the point! After a couple of such instances on mine, I bit the bullet and got it tuned at XTX. A completely different gun came back - the gun it always should have been from the start!

It does, which is why it's only worth doing if there's something wrong with it and it's not getting fixed by BSA. I've heard stories of guns going backwards and forwards from BSA and each time they're 'returned to as new standard' the problem is that standard is useless, so what's the point! After a couple of such instances on mine, I bit the bullet and got it tuned at XTX. A completely different gun came back - the gun it always should have been from the start!

I have that gun now and can't fault it. Superb rifle.

hi mate , I owned the BSA r10mk2 in .22 flavour and it was a fantastic short light hunting rifle, smooth action, accurate, and certainly did its job, to be honest I was sorry I ever got shut of it to buy the wolverine b,

I bought a new s510 ultimate sporter approx. 8 weeks ago and all I can say is it is the most accurate air rifle I have ever used straight out of the box, it really is pellet on pellet and I mean single hole groups out to 50 yrds,I bought it because I had read so many excellent reviews about them and actually had the chance to speak with someone from our FT club and asked him about the pro,s and con,s, he actually said there was no cons,,

I found the rifle loves jsb heavies 4.51,s and will group 5p size groups at 50 yrds with ease, the advantage over the BSA is that the stock is fully adjustable, also the side lever action on the sporter really is a pleasure to use, its effortless to re load a pellet and the side lever on the sporter is super smooth unlike the hw100kt, The build quality of the rifle really is first class

for the price it is an excellent hunting rifle and very good value for money , another advantage is you have an adjustable sling stud that can be used to set a bipod on and you can then move this back and forth to help with the balance of the rifle, because of the adjustable stock on the s510 ultimate sporter once you set it up to suit you it feels superb to shoulder and does feel better than the r10mk2 it also feels very well balanced,

all I can say is if I had to choose between the two rifles both in .177 then I wouldn,t hesitate to pick the s510 ultimate sporter up, it truelly is a superb air rifle

Bob.

Can you double load it?

Bob.

Can you double load it?

to be honest mate , I never have, but yes you can, the funny thing is I have never shoved two pellets down the barrel with any of my rifles, that's one good thing about the hw100 and the wolverines they cant be double loaded, but if your like me I have a routine when I,m out hunting which is once a shot is fired I instantly re cock the rifle then put the safety on, I have always done this , it then means when the safety is on I know there is a pellet up the spout, it works for me and as said I,ve always done it, when I finish shooting I empty the rifle then put the safety on after removing the mag, this is so the rifle is always treated as if its loaded, best to be safe than sorry

to be honest mate , I never have, but yes you can, the funny thing is I have never shoved two pellets down the barrel with any of my rifles, that's one good thing about the hw100 and the wolverines they cant be double loaded, but if your like me I have a routine when I,m out hunting which is once a shot is fired I instantly re cock the rifle then put the safety on, I have always done this , it then means when the safety is on I know there is a pellet up the spout, it works for me and as said I,ve always done it, when I finish shooting I empty the rifle then put the safety on after removing the mag, this is so the rifle is always treated as if its loaded, best to be safe than sorry

Thanks Bob.