How to start?

Granett

Hi there. It looks like a move out of London and into the shires might actually be about to transpire.

I've only been shooting 3 times but I enjoy it and would like to do it more often. I've done a bit of reading around the subject and currently feel that my best bet may be to sign up for some lessons. Hopefully after some relatively intensive grounding in the basics, I can then go away and practise without developing too many bad habits out of the starting blocks.

EJ Churchill is relatively close (under an hour south of where we look to be ending up), and is one of the grounds I've shot at before. I have nothing to compare it to, but I found the coaching very good. It seems pretty expensive (especially as I've told my wife that it's a relatively cheap sport!) and so before I commit to £800 (6 1-on-1 lessons + clays and cartridges) expenditure, I thought I'd run it past the forum just in case I'm making a big mistake.

Thanks a lot for any help or pointers.

Churchill's is good I have shot their alot over the years but its expensive and rather "formal". That said although pricey will definitely give you a good grounding as the coaching is of a high standard. You don say where in the "Shires" your moving to, I live in Buckinghamshire and there are lots of places to shoot around here. Kingswood Gun club is good (so I hear) as is Valley View in Amersham for general practice when you have your own SGC and gun. I would recommend a couple of lessons at EJ's and see what you think but also look at Atkin Grant and Lang and AC Sporting Targets which is near Hayes but an easy journey from Herts etc...

Edited by Wingman

Sounds pricey to me. You can get a lesson around here for about £50 +C&C.

Personally I would have thought just a couple of lessons would be enough. When I was starting out I kept talking to Alan at Pinewood about having a lesson. All he ever said was "Don`t waste your money on me, spend it on clays and cartridges".

Thanks a lot. That's very useful. Currently based in South London, but all going to plan (and if we can avoid a divorce) should be moving to West Hertfordshire in a month's time.

(To be fair, and in line with my unreservedly positive experience of EJChurchill so far, when I spoke to someone there they said, "Have one lesson and then decide to pay for that or sign up for 5 more. You don't have to decide beforehand".)

Edited by Granett

Hi there. It looks like a move out of London and into the shires might actually be about to transpire.

I've only been shooting 3 times but I enjoy it and would like to do it more often. I've done a bit of reading around the subject and currently feel that my best bet may be to sign up for some lessons. Hopefully after some relatively intensive grounding in the basics, I can then go away and practise without developing too many bad habits out of the starting blocks.

EJ Churchill is relatively close (under an hour south of where we look to be ending up), and is one of the grounds I've shot at before. I have nothing to compare it to, but I found the coaching very good. It seems pretty expensive (especially as I've told my wife that it's a relatively cheap sport!) and so before I commit to £800 (6 1-on-1 lessons + clays and cartridges) expenditure, I thought I'd run it past the forum just in case I'm making a big mistake.

Thanks a lot for any help or pointers.

bloody hell how much that seems rather expensive i never had to pay for lessons my self but 800 pound for 6 lessons. why dont you just join a club m8 what shoots what you want to shoot there should be someone there at all times to keep a eye and show you what to do you would pick it up in no time.

Going to back Kory on that one lad at the local RFD was about 8 months for a coterminous FAC and SGC and I have been waiting with baited breath for over two months for an FAC variation so 6 months + seems to be about the norm at the moment.

Blimey 2 months for a variation!! I remember when I had my FAC 10 years ago I used to go to Fultons on Bisley camp see something I wanted and the variation took a couple of weeks max. That was Surrey though the boys at Mount Brown seemed on the ball then. I am just about to put in for a grant for .17hmr for rabbits and fox on my permission looks like it may be near Christmas by the time I get it!