The restoration man.

besty57

I enjoy the programme because of the guts and vision of the owners but question Gorgeous George's value to their efforts.

It's particularly tiresome watching him cock his head on one side as he heroically reviews a set of drawings with a sincere pensive look on his face then add "you don't want to do it like that, I know best, not the architect you've paid to employ", before scribbling something on the plans. The only thing missing is a matchstick family standing outside the drawing of the finished home when he triumphantly says "ta dah"!

Awe it's only because he's a Makem. You'll have sha la blue after you all picking on a lad From his home town.

I like his programs in general as I like to see old buildings restored and his mate the wood butcher designer make some interesting stuff.

Think he wants to be the UK version of This Old House with Norm and Steve.

Edited by figgy

Sadly he's a typical architecture exponent

"it works on my drawings so do its easy to do "

they do very expensive drawings and talk in flowery language to either the client or the person with the nicest car yet when faced with a problem wash their manicured hands of it and say " your the builder, you come up with an answer "

I had one try to tell me the fact a manhole didn't exist where his pretty picture said it did meant I had to build one at my cost was not his fault. Clueless

Sadly he's a typical architecture exponent

"it works on my drawings so do its easy to do "

they do very expensive drawings and talk in flowery language to either the client or the person with the nicest car yet when faced with a problem wash their manicured hands of it and say " your the builder, you come up with an answer "

I had one try to tell me the fact a manhole didn't exist where his pretty picture said it did meant I had to build one at my cost was not his fault. Clueless

Honest, decent practices do exist, promise!

mm. I trust you Ben. do you shoot off when the builder asks if the drawing complies with part p / part l or say yes it does.if it's the latter you can do my drawings !

Nope! We get involved with all the nuts and bolts of the job, no point drawing things if they can't be built, it's all about delivering the job on budget and it being buildable.

I'm an architectural technologist by trade and we place an equal importance on that as the front end design.

We may well still drop a clanger like every other human but certainly once we find a decent contractor we look to work with them not at odds.

Awe it's only because he's a Makem. You'll have sha la blue after you all picking on a lad From his home town.

I like his programs in general as I like to see old buildings restored and his mate the wood butcher designer make some interesting stuff.

Think he wants to be the UK version of This Old House with Norm and Steve.

Yeah have no problem watching the show love to see the buildings brought back to life.I just wish they would concentrate a bit more on the guys who do the hard work and build the stuff,

His mate will.who sometimes we see is a genius with timber ,id rather watch the tradesman at work,and less of gc,

Anything is possible on paper it's a different matter when it comes to actually building it ,

As for him being a makem I would never have guessed,

Edited by besty57

Nope! We get involved with all the nuts and bolts of the job, no point drawing things if they can't be built, it's all about delivering the job on budget and it being buildable.

I'm an architectural technologist by trade and we place an equal importance on that as the front end design.

We may well still drop a clanger like every other human but certainly once we find a decent contractor we look to work with them not at odds.

+1

I'm a technologist to ben and a member of CIAT. I do get annoyed when people slate architects and technologists for what we do. There is more to our profession than drawings and most of us want to work WITH the client and builders to create nice buildings that work. I do know my building regs and try to keep a good relationship with builders, that way when there is a problem theres no finger pointing just an educated discussion on how to solve it and move on.

A pal of mine is always saying done trust architects they don't know what they are doing, I tend to ignore comments like that because he doesn't understand what we need to know, not just to build a building, but to even get planning and come up with a design that works.

Oh and I do like George Clarke's shows. I think he's better than McLeod on Grand Designs and restoration man is covers what I do so its great seeing other old buildings being saved.