Reloading press, when do they get worn out?

I've a reloading press that is donkeys years old and has about 1mm of play when the ram is at the die.

I keep thinking that what ever the play is - it is probably fairly repeatable and so my loading is consistent.

I am wondering what new presses are like for slop and if anyone has found it makes any difference.

Any thoughts?

If your reloads are performing to your expectations with no issues then I do not see any problem with a press with a bit of wear on the ram. If you are having other issues you need to find the cause, one factor being the condition of the press but there are many others, dies, loading materials, data etc etc.

For shotgun reloading I have two old MEC's got them secondhand from US would estimate them to be 40-50 years old, for rifle I use a Lee press again quite old I think. All the presses work fine and produce repeatable results.

Hope this helps ATB.

It's is an old rifle cartridge press that has done a huge amount of work owned my a few people. I've measured the waggle with the piston at its highest point and it is moving 1mm in any direction, so the shell holder is able to move 1 mm in any direction when at full stroke.

Edited by malkiserow

It's is an old rifle cartridge press that has done a huge amount of work owned my a few people. I've measured the waggle with the piston at its highest point and it is moving 1mm in any direction, so the shell holder is able to move 1 mm in any direction when at full stroke.

Do the reloads shoot to the same point of aim? if they do, that is all that matters. I would have thought that the case would have been centralized in the die when the case is up to the point of seating and the amount of waggle might even allow the case to centralize even more rather than being held in a specific spot.

Slop and run out of Centre are different things

Set up is about fifty times more relivent

You should check the consentricity of your cases with a dti and also the bullet when loaded. I 100% belive getting run out down to 2 tho' is way more important than 0.2 of a grain of powder. In fact you can be a ways out with the charges if everything else is good and it's not high pressure - if your shooting a cf rifle at 100- 200 yards