223 muntjac bullet

I don't think, apart from the boat tail of course, you will find much difference between 1360 and 1365's in construction and performance apart of course than down range accuracy. Game king by name though it is advertised as a long range varmint bullet on sierras website. Once again it was bullet length that was a big consideration, possible my 1:12 twist would stabilize a 60 gr bt but I started with short ones and I'm very happy with this very accurate bullet in my rifle.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1365s are a lot tougher than the 1360s i wont use 1365s on fox but will the varminter range in fact the 5os are a favourate in .22250.

Have you tried them both on Muntys ? The 1360 gives me just the right expansion at 3100 fps muzzle, if what your saying is fact then they prob would not expand enough for my purpose, Maybe I will get to give a try sometime. :good:

Edited by Redgum

Have you tried them both on Muntys ? The 1360 gives me just the right expansion at 3100 fps muzzle, if what your saying is fact then they prob would not expand enough for my purpose, Maybe I will get to give a try sometime. :good:

No never , But used 55 game kings on a lot of Roe. The 50 varminters are too distructive in the .22250 on Roe in my opinion, i have only used a few 55s on fox and behaved roughly like the 50s put it this way nothing struck me back at the time as unussual just typical varmiter performance, but the slower speed in the .223 could make them hold up better. I would try the %% game kings IIWY I cant see them being much if any more money, and they work good.

Edited by TONY R

When you two have finished debating the minute detail of the differences here, and the fact that some destroy Roe :hmm:, where apparently many are incapable of stopping a Muntjac effectively, can you please tell me what is better about them and more efficient than a PRVI .223 55g SP which I find very effective on Muntjac.

And before you jump in, I'm not being cynical, I am truly interested to know what benefits the ammo you are talking about has when the cheap stuff I use stops them, and does relatively little meat damage.

Thank you.

:good:

Edited by Dekers

Well the varmint bullets are designed to enter and expand effectively distroying the internals, the Game King in Theory is About Having a bit more construction about it, mushroom up And retaining a but more of its weight as it exits leaving a nice vapour trail :lol:

Redgun is quite happy with how the 55 varmint is working on Muntys , I just pointed out i felt the 55 Game king was pretty good on Roe, and sujested he might like to try them thats all.

Its not about this bullet or that any of them will kill that pretty obvious, its what you want left to harvest at the end thats in debate here. I Feel based on what i have seen, ON ROE.. The 55 Game king is what i want from a deer bullet in a .22250, and if i had a .223 i would be looking at it seriously.

Well the varmint bullets are designed to enter and expand effectively distroying the internals, the Game King in Theory is About Having a bit more construction about it, mushroom up And retaining a but more of its weight as it exits leaving a nice vapour trail :lol:

Redgun is quite happy with how the 55 varmint is working on Muntys , I just pointed out i felt the 55 Game king was pretty good on Roe, and sujested he might like to try them thats all.

Its not about this bullet or that any of them will kill that pretty obvious, its what you want left to harvest at the end thats in debate here. I Feel based on what i have seen, ON ROE.. The 55 Game king is what i want from a deer bullet in a .22250, and if i had a .223 i would be looking at it seriously.

Do you have any relative comparisons for the .223 55g PRVI SP? I don't have any issues at all with these on Muntjac or Roe, I've even taken a Roe very effectively at 229 Yards (from memory, certainly well over 200) with Wolf .223 HP.

I tend to favour SP for virtually all deer, and strange as it may seem to some I find the PRVI SP works very well for me in .223, .243 and .308, both by way of effectively stopping what it hits and causing limited meat damage. I have had no need to experiment any much further as the ammo I use works for me!

Cheers

Edit

For those who may pick up, Scottish Roe...OK.

Edited by Dekers

Like i said its not so much about working, they all work and kill its what bullets do, But if you can minimise damage to what is a relatively small deer to begin with, you have a better chance of harvesting a tad more meat off them.

It is down to what the individual wants at the end of the day, if you are just into carving off the back steaks and the back hams it not that important how much damage the bullet does. But if you want to get the most out of the carcase, a tougher bullet gives you a better chance of this.

I like to minimise meat damage. If you are shooting munties at the end of the day in or very close to dense cover, and you have no dog to follow up, you just want them down. I think it's a balance that we all have to make. We could get into the head/neck shot debate but probably been done to death already.

varmint doesnt always mean frangible

I use Hornady "Varmint" SP 60gr in my .222 on roe

They are a cup and core, spitzer soft point that expands well, passes through roe no problem even through both shoulders

opens up predictably and leave exits around the 1/2-1" size

if you are worried about runners then I personally go for as much downrange energy as possible couple with good shot placement

I don't pin shoulders as its a waste, but of all the roe I have shot in the last 6 or years I have genuinely only had two that didnt drop on the spot to chest shots behind the legs

One went 5 yards and flopped, one ran about 15 and came back to flop where it was shot.

this one! went into the trees then came back out

When you two have finished debating the minute detail of the differences here, and the fact that some destroy Roe :hmm:, where apparently many are incapable of stopping a Muntjac effectively, can you please tell me what is better about them and more efficient than a PRVI .223 55g SP which I find very effective on Muntjac.

And before you jump in, I'm not being cynical, I am truly interested to know what benefits the ammo you are talking about has when the cheap stuff I use stops them, and does relatively little meat damage.

Thank you.

The bullets I'm referring to are all soft points, sierra do three or four 55gr soft points with slightly differently designed jackets for varying degrees of expansion, one or another is probably exactly the same as used in your ammunition. The reason for the post was to share my information with others. Obviously you already have the perfect bullet so of little interest to you, many don't have your disposition of being either very accurate and dropping them on the spot or totally missing, lucky for the deer in your neck of the woods eh. :yes:

varmint doesnt always mean frangible :good: :good::good:

I use Hornady "Varmint" SP 60gr in my .222 on roe

They are a cup and core, spitzer soft point that expands well, passes through roe no problem even through both shoulders

opens up predictably and leave exits around the 1/2-1" size

if you are worried about runners then I personally go for as much downrange energy as possible couple with good shot placement

I don't pin shoulders as its a waste, but of all the roe I have shot in the last 6 or years I have genuinely only had two that didnt drop on the spot to chest shots behind the legs

One went 5 yards and flopped, one ran about 15 and came back to flop where it was shot.

this one! went into the trees then came back out

i think you should be using 52gn A-Max, ok they blow up if you drive them fast enough but go slow and they will be fine, or just run them flat out and head shoot it. not much meat on a muntjack anyway so waste of when there is by heart shots. plus the hearts good eating.

i think you should be using 52gn A-Max, ok they blow up if you drive them fast enough but go slow and they will be fine, or just run them flat out and head shoot it. not much meat on a muntjack anyway so waste of when there is by heart shots. plus the hearts good eating.

Well that's the next one I will try, have used them stoked up to over 4000 fps and the shock wave will knock the munty's over. Your right about the hearts, my missus hangs them in the sun for a day or two first but its a toss up between eaten em dried or spraying em silver and putting em on the Xmas tree. That's the big dilemma isn't it when your looking at a Munty through the scope ' now do I prefer pickled eyeballs or dried hearts'.

Nice clean kill with a #1365 this morning after checking zero. Using sticks as the grass is so long, 3 bullets into a finger nail group for the zero check (100 yds). I'll take that. Very clean kill, not as messy as the V-max. I like these bullets!

Edited by Savhmr

I think i need to go back to the book?

Game Kings, being FMJ?

Barnes TTSX, thought they were copper?

Headshots on Munties?

Off for a lie down now.

Sierra 1355 gamekings

.22 Caliber (.224) High Velocity 55 gr. FMJBT

For rifles, this 55 grain #1355 Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail bullet was designed specifically to duplicate the military M193 bullet, and it is intended for use in semi-automatic rifles, such as the AR-15, M16 and Ruger Mini 14. It features an exceptionally heavy full metal jacket with a cannelure properly located for crimping and positive feeding. This is an excellent bullet for hunting varmints and small game where pelts are to be preserved. It should be loaded to medium velocities for this purpose.

Nice clean kill with a #1365 this morning after checking zero. Using sticks as the grass is so long, 3 bullets into a finger nail group for the zero check (100 yds). I'll take that. Very clean kill, not as messy as the V-max. I like these bullets!

What did you clean kill?