Mustard

cocknee

I have been shooting pigeons for getting on for 50 years now and this year is the first time any of the places I shoot have grown mustard this they have done because it was too wet for spring drilling. So having no experience of this crop is it worth keeping an eye on, it is around an inch tall at the moment. There were a few pigeon around today but they could still be budding. I am looking for some advice from someone who has made reasonable bags on mustard in the past.

There is mustard on the field opposite my house at the moment. Pigeons were on the field in numbers until the plants got above 2" high then they deserted it. The crop is now 1' tall and there has not been a bird on that field for three weeks.

Edited by JDog

Cheers JDog back to the drawing board then its going to be a pretty poor harvest for me with half the farms I shoot having only drilled half their acreage.

Don't despair. I didn't shoot today but I watched a few pigeons going into a field of weeds and wild pansy. That field was too wet to drill this spring.

I shot on mustard all through the winter was averaging 50/70 bird days it was brilliant but the crop is gone now and has been ploughed in they used it as a nitrogen or something like That. were the mustard was has now got peas in but now there isn't a bird to be seen. But if I was you keep an eye on it especially now crops are so high hope this is a good help cheers.

Its EU regs i think ...............you have to grow a certain % of you land as a soil improver.............had it on the farm last year...mustard...got very excited about it...gas bangers were out ...................................

............................NOTHING....................

Lol that's what is my problem now gas bangers that's why there isn't anything on my peas farmers had them on from word go but I had some fantastic days on the mustard before it got ploughed in so you still might get a day but the pigeons loved it I had a rape field at the side of the mustard and they barley touched the rape. Cheers.

The year before last I had some Mustard that was hammered by big numbers of pigeon from the time it sprouted to the time it was combined .

Last year it was grown on fields each side of that one and I never shot it as there were none on it , this year has been the same.

Its weird int it but there must be something there near that field what held them in the past. I thought were these peas are now would be getting battered as well but no look and theres woods all way round it but there just not there its a 6000 acre estate and the birds aren't there most of the pigeons am seeing and having the desent days on are on me door step. I have noticed theres been more pigeons on fields I have got in a built up area any one else similar situations? Cheers..

Its weird int it but there must be something there near that field what held them in the past. I thought were these peas are now would be getting battered as well but no look and theres woods all way round it but there just not there its a 6000 acre estate and the birds aren't there most of the pigeons am seeing and having the desent days on are on me door step. I have noticed theres been more pigeons on fields I have got in a built up area any one else similar situations? Cheers..

I also have been shooting for 50+ years and I have had very similar results over the years, a friend of mine was the estate manager for lord Lichfield (retired now) but one estate he managed was about 5000 acres and about half an hours drive, i would drive around this for half the day and end up coming home and shooting a field not ten minutes from home, think its all the parks and gardens that hold lots of pigeons that then fly out to the nearest fields.