FEO Visit Derbyshire

mct94

Hi Guys,

So after patiently waiting 12 weeks and hearing nothing regarding my SGC grant, FEO for Derbyshire rang up out the blue Monday morning and said "Are you free tomorrow at 2?" Pretty much as soon as I hung up I was on the phone again to Countryman to reserve a Brattonsound 3 gun cabinet! Wizzed straight down there, straight back home again and got it fitted.

Anyway, I think it all went well! First of all he checked the cabinet, I gave it a few good shoves to prove it was nice and secure, he seemed happy that i'd followed the police guideline of fitting in the left hand corner of the room. He also commented that my cabinet would probably take 4 "if I go on a spending spree" :good:

After this we sat in my living room and commenced the interview. He asked me the typical questions, 'What will the gun be used for?'(Clays)

'Who else lives in the property?' (Girlfriend) 'Are any of them certificate holders?' (I wish!! She'll have to be my button girl for now :lol: ) He then asked me about security in my property, did it have double glazing, alarm system etc. He seemed satisfied by all my answers. Finally he went through my background and record, said everything was fine there too.

After he had finished typing all my answers down, he said "I can't see any reason why your application will not be granted" and then spent a further 20 odd minutes going over a blank SGC, showing me how to fill it out, what everything meant, and what I needed to do once I have bought my first gun.

He said he would "take it back to Firearms dept. and they should process it by Friday, meaning it should be sent out the following week, expect it in the next 7 -10 days"

So, I don't want to jinx anything here but I think thats job done?? :hmm::hmm:

Edited by mct94

I was puzzled by the remark about fitting the cabinet in the left hand side of the room too.

It sounds like your FEO are very thorough.I have just renewed my co-terminous certificates.I posted the application on a thursday.I got a call the following monday followed by the home visit on tuesday.I had my new certs by friday of the same week.And that's in London.

I don't understand the bit about "fitting it in the left hand corner of a room"......can you explain?

Because gun cabinets have the hinges on the right unless you order l/h hinges specifically and pay a premium for it. It's so if/when someone stuck a crowbar in the lock side, they wouldn't have anywhere to lever it to. I suppose if you ordered a cabinet with l/h hinges they'd prefer it in the right hand corner.

Edited by walshie

Because gun cabinets have the hinges on the right unless you order l/h hinges specifically and pay a premium for it. It's so if/when someone stuck a crowbar in the lock side, they wouldn't have anywhere to lever it to. I suppose if you ordered a cabinet with l/h hinges they'd prefer it in the right hand corner.

:good:

It does make sense for the cabinet to be there, HOWEVER it also tells anyone looking for cabinets into which room (a room with a left handed corner facing an external wall) to look into...

In most house it'd take me a minute or two to find it!