Reloading Press

Hi

Looking at getting into reloading .243. But how do you pick your reloading press.

I'm only starting out so don't want to spend loads on equipment so looking at the lee precision equipment. But what to get.

Should I starter with a lee loader or go for a press?? If I go for a press then what one? Reloaded press or one of the ones like a breech lock press???

I plan to load small amounts at a time and plan to use fire formed cases. So will best to neck size. But a friend wants me to reload for them as well in a different calibre 25-06. So will need 2 sets of dies or 2 lee loaders anyways.

So what's the best solution do you think???

Try the Lee loader first! You'll get a load of replies knocking them, but they're cheap and easy to use. Just add the bullet components and you can make your bullets. If you use the dipper like I do it will load a conservative load but it's a perfectly acceptable load for hunting. Spend the thirty odd quid on the Lee loader and see if you enjoy it and have the time to justify spending a few hundred quid on a big press.

If you are only loading small quantities then the Lee Loader will be an ideal way into the hobby. I think they are around 28 quid at Kranks per calibre. Bear in mind that you'll need a reloading manual, the Lee 2nd edition is great for tips etc and try to watch video's on youtube, there are loads for the Lee Loader.

Unless you have your mate's calibre on your certificate then he'll have to be there. I just tell him to get one too!

I use the Lee handpress to reload a couple of calibres and find it a great bit of kit, with the added advantage of being able to clear all my kit into a box so it keeps the Mrs sweet.

Edited by Livefast123

If i could turn back the clock 40 years i could save myself a lot of money and hassle learning whats good and whats not so good.

All of the advice above is good sound advice, and of course if you take any one post lets say the Lee challenger kit. Its going to get you away reloading and with the additions sujested it will load you bullets just fine.

I however i was to pick the kit from experiences and just have the reloading tackle i needed and worked for me it would be this, this is what i have settled on and its been like this about ten years now.

Reloading pres, Well i have a cheapo Alloy O frame lee press, use this for full length sizing new cases,

Dies i have four rifles i have four sets of RCBS 2 die sets. 22250 7mm rem mag 7mm stw and 2506.

never used the seater dies ever just use the full length sizer only reason i have a pres is for sizing new cases.

Still on dies i have wilsoin neck dies inline dies in all four chamberinbgs.

i have an arbour pres, for the wilsons but i could use a nylon hammer if you wanted.

I have digital vernier or similat device i just use a cheapo Lidi version as a tenner about 10 years ago.

CH powder measure but any decent one will do.

powder trickler mines a RCBS but they all do a similar job.

RCBS primer tool and safetey glasses. any similar tool will do, even the cheap lee autoprime.

Lyman case trimmer its old but works ok.

Powder scales again mine are RCBS but many other makes and models will do just the same.

All my reloading kit fits in a drawer. its chow i like to load ammo, and only regret not doing this years ago .