Garden Snails

Davyo

Washing up bowl with chicken wire over it, four days on a diet of grated carrot and then three days with nothing to clear them out and make them less slimy, but you can skip starving them and they're still OK as long as they've had long enough on the grated carrot.

When you cook them you can do it the French way and drop them straight into boiling liquid, but then they'll be inside their shells, if you heat the liquid up gently they mostly stay outside their shells and they're easier to get out.

Washing up bowl with chicken wire over it, four days on a diet of grated carrot and then three days with nothing to clear them out and make them less slimy, but you can skip starving them and they're still OK as long as they've had long enough on the grated carrot.

When you cook them you can do it the French way and drop them straight into boiling liquid, but then they'll be inside their shells, if you heat the liquid up gently they mostly stay outside their shells and they're easier to get out.

That second way sounds a bit cruel to me dropping them in boiling water is I would think a better way to kill them in an instant not boiling them alive I have never tried eating snails just do not fancy the idea having said that they probably taste ok as most things do if cooked properly.

That second way sounds a bit cruel to me dropping them in boiling water is I would think a better way to kill them in an instant not boiling them alive I have never tried eating snails just do not fancy the idea having said that they probably taste ok as most things do if cooked properly.

They just go to sleep, if they were upset then they'd retreat inside the shells, but if you feel bad about it you can force them to sleep by putting them in the freezer beforehand, not for too long as you don't want them frozen, just cold, they'll still retreat inside the shells though so whether they prefer that to hot water is debatable.

To be honest I'm not sure snails are complicated enough organisms to suffer, but it's still worth being nice to them if possible.

To be honest I'm not sure snails are complicated enough organisms to suffer, but it's still worth being nice to them if possible.

They aren't, consensus is that invertebrates don't feel pain.

The evidence is as such that they are not protected by the Animals scientific procedures act, arguably the strictest on the planet.