Side by side quads

Walker570

Hisun Sector 250. Anyone had any experience of these little side by side quads?

I'm looking for a small , narrow two seater which I can use simply to get around and do odd jobs and on shoot days.

Save my old legs :-)

I have a tractor and a Land Rover 90 to do the heavy work. The price looks right at just over £3250 and is road legal.

Also small enough to fit on a small trailer and light enough to be towed behind the car.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Big problem is the only 50 inch or sub 50 inch I can see other than Hisun is the Honda Pioneer and they have not been homologated or such by the all seeing glorious EU and not available here. I do take your advice as I have Kubota kit for other serious work uses. I want a narrow gauge for getting into tight corners between trees. The Honda Pioneer is 50 inches wide and ideal but would be close to three times the price here, if I could buy one.

Looks like a fun beast. I had an old Kawasaki Mule but replaced it with a Jimny as it was way cheaper and came with a winch (not to mention heater, roof, electric windows, stereo etc.) although not as light and compact.

There was another Chinese brand I was looking at which was quite high spec. compared to the Mule and a lot cheaper - came with a winch too. Seem to remember it was still about 8 grand so this thing looks like a bargain.

Hisun Sector 250. Anyone had any experience of these little side by side quads?

I'm looking for a small , narrow two seater which I can use simply to get around and do odd jobs and on shoot days.

Save my old legs :-)

I have a tractor and a Land Rover 90 to do the heavy work. The price looks right at just over £3250 and is road legal.

Also small enough to fit on a small trailer and light enough to be towed behind the car.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Just looked, is it 2 or 4 wheel drive?

It is two wheel drive, which is probably the one reason I would not go for it, but watching the trials onyoutube, it does seem to go most sensible places and as I said I am looking for a means of getting around to save the legs, not go mud slinging. Maybe haul my pigeon gear across a stubble field and hopefully may have a muntie to load in the carrier. I think in two wheel drive, used sensibly it could be a useful little tool. Reliability obviously is what I would be most interested in.

It is two wheel drive, which is probably the one reason I would not go for it, but watching the trials onyoutube, it does seem to go most sensible places and as I said I am looking for a means of getting around to save the legs, not go mud slinging. Maybe haul my pigeon gear across a stubble field and hopefully may have a muntie to load in the carrier. I think in two wheel drive, used sensibly it could be a useful little tool. Reliability obviously is what I would be most interested in.

And Repairability (?) with a Chinese item. Are parts available now, and in the future? Can it actually be dismantled and assembled again as some cheap Chinese quads strip / snap all the heads off bolts when you put a spanner on them (very soft / cheap metal). Who honours the warranty and what's the turn around (do they hold spares)?

When u look at stats its load bay is only rated to 50lbs so 1 bag of feed.

Also at 50" ur too wide for a normal cheap 4ft light plant/quad trailer. Might be hard to get out/in while it is onthe trailer too as door might not open

U'd probably be bett off just getting a quad

Depending wot ur ground conditions are, but ur 2wd drive might well be ok , usually that bit lighter (well the 2wd quads are) and float over wet bits but they will struggle going throu muddy heavily tracked/champed gates. Its when ur loaded upwith feed or pulling trailers on steep ground u really need ur 4wd.

Another draw back u won't be able to walk/push it thou wet/muddy places as a foot throttle

My 1st quad was a jianshe, cheap chinese copy of a Yamaha, and to be fair it was ok, i was doing beteween 30-50km every day in it 6-7 days a week which was just too much for it really. And the lad i bought it off was struggling to get parts for servicing etc, to be fair i started getting the parts myself from a different company and was no problem (AJS motorcylces)

When i replaced it i took it to an agri auction to try and sell it, it was in pretty immacualte nick althou high miles, never got any interest or bids while complete heaps of hondas made decent money. So expect to have no resale value.

Sold it to a mate for his small farm, he had it over 6 years and abused the hell out of it, hardly missed a beat

Reliability is the key here. Because if I kept it for 5 yrs and threw it away it would have cost me about £14 a week. I would build a custom madetrailer for it anyway but it would also fit on my present trailer. I do fully appreciate all comments and agree that if you had a lot of hard

work for a UTV then buy one which is built for the hard work. I am looking for an up market 'Tramper' where I can on occasion carry a passenger.

Pick my way across a field to a high seat; throw some camo over it and then have something to save me a half mile walk back maybe carrying a

muntie or a roe. When your well on the wrong side of 70 you need all the help you can get, believe me :-)

Reliability is the key here. Because if I kept it for 5 yrs and threw it away it would have cost me about £14 a week. I would build a custom madetrailer for it anyway but it would also fit on my present trailer. I do fully appreciate all comments and agree that if you had a lot of hard

work for a UTV then buy one which is built for the hard work. I am looking for an up market 'Tramper' where I can on occasion carry a passenger.

Pick my way across a field to a high seat; throw some camo over it and then have something to save me a half mile walk back maybe carrying a

muntie or a roe. When your well on the wrong side of 70 you need all the help you can get, believe me :-)

I'm 63 and I sincerely believe you :good:

Can u not do all that with a standard quad?

If u bought an auto u could sit side saddle or make an attachment to fit on gear shifter so u can do it with ur hand if throwing ur leg over a quad is hard.

We looked at a polaris sit in 1 for my dad to save him throwing his leg over bike but its so low its even harder to get in/out off

I know not meant to carry passengers but i've had 3/4 folk on a quad before. U could easy make a comfier/safer seat on 1 of the racks that could come on/off as needed.

I'd bet it probably would be fine for occasional light use, but would depend on ground conditions, as soon as u put a trailer on even a light trailer 2wd do struggle with any slopes and wet ground

Edited by scotslad

Agree, the 2 wheel drive is the down side. She who must be obeyed might also be a passenger, so slinging her across the saddle like a bounty

hunter bringing in his quarry, is not going to work !!!! The local dealership is not more than 35 mins away. Think I'll go and have a look see.

Thanks for all of the comments so far, they have all been registered :-)

Ur bigger artic type type quads are designed for 2 folk sitting.

Could u not design a seat to sit side saddle on the back rack, 1 for each side.

Sometimes quite comfy on the front rack too as long as not going over ruff stuff and does block the view for driving, be a lot cheaper