Advice on what to buy to clean my rifle

Donegalcharlie

when I first got mine I spoke to 1967spud and bought a rod/patches etc and cleaning solution from him, very helpful guy.

I think everyone has a different cleaning routine for the HMR.

I personally gave mine a proper clean when I first bought it, before I first used it, now I only dry patch the barrel after use to clean out the crud.

normally takes around 5 patched until they come out clean.

will give it a proper clean if/when it starts to miss, up to now it's been behaving itself nicely with what I'm doing.

don't forget to remove the moderator after use, mine gets a fair buildup of crud and moisture after use. I always strip the mod and let it dry out after use.

Get yourself a decent cleaning rod, some patches, a jag and some cleaning fluid like Wipeout (patchout) or KG-SF112 bore cleaner. Also buy some gun oil for conditioning the bore after cleaning and as a general rifle lube.

The little calibre benefits from keeping the bore clean. I had mine for a few years before twigging this, and it was the only way to keep the thing anywhere near consistent. They have a very small bore and it doesn't take much fouling build up to raise pressures and cause spread in velocity = spread in accuracy, especially as the barrel warms up (if stringing shots for example). I know some who don't bother but I found it the best way with the HMR. Cleaning every 75 rounds or so seemed to work best for me.

Avoid bore snakes. All they'll do is ruin your muzzle with regular use or get snapped off within the barrel (reputedly).

Unlike 22Lr which doesn't really suffer much fouling as the lead bullet is coated in wax, the HMR will leave copper wash in the barrel as well as powder fouling.

Get yourself a decent cleaning rod, some patches, a jag and some cleaning fluid like Wipeout (patchout) or KG-SF112 bore cleaner. Also buy some gun oil for conditioning the bore after cleaning and as a general rifle lube.

The little calibre benefits from keeping the bore clean. I had mine for a few years before twigging this, and it was the only way to keep the thing anywhere near consistent. They have a very small bore and it doesn't take much fouling build up to raise pressures and cause spread in velocity = spread in accuracy, especially as the barrel warms up (if stringing shots for example). I know some who don't bother but I found it the best way with the HMR. Cleaning every 75 rounds or so seemed to work best for me.

Avoid bore snakes. All they'll do is ruin your muzzle with regular use or get snapped off within the barrel (reputedly).

Unlike 22Lr which doesn't really suffer much fouling as the lead bullet is coated in wax, the HMR will leave copper wash in the barrel as well as powder fouling.

Same as this.