Selling / Buying Shotguns

ChrisAsh

The best way to value second hand cars is via auction prices, which is what most magazines use

Is there a list of auction prices for used shotguns of the popular types say guns made in last 20 years we could use as this question of resale value often crops up "by this or That because" and so on

The problem with adverts is that they only show the asking price not what was paid and shop sales would tend to be exchanging goods which again leaves lots of room to vary the price like taking a % of the new slow moving gun and giving it on the old gun to make it look good

Very good question and one that is likely to run and run.

If you try to find a value on PW you may end up having your post/topic removed as I did with a simple airgun value question.

You could look through Holts but must add on all the fees. PS don't bother asking them a question as I did, cos they don't reply.

Edited by B25Modelman

Pretty much everybody does the same thing to find a value of a gun:

Search the sale sites

Judge the condition of your potential sale/purchase against what is available

CHECK HOW LONG THE OTHERS HAVE BEEN FOR SALE

And then calculate accordingly.

I buy and sell a decent number of guns. I know what I am prepared to pay for most but as an example I bought a beretta last week, seller wouldn't say what they wanted so I checked the sale sites and offered a little less. I told the seller exactly how I came to my valuation and he was happy.

As with everything something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you ask what you want for it and it doesn't sell then maybe it's worth more to you than someone else. I often feel disappointed if I sell something quickly as I think it may have been too cheap but as long as I have achieved what I need then it's fine.

Edited by eddoakley

Also do not believe anyone when he/she says the gun is X years old. Check and research the proof stamps and/or serial numbers.

I recently viewed a gun purported to be 1 year old...it was two years. Also another, a dealer sale, 'I bought it new about a year ago', I checked stampings and it had been on his shelf two years.

Edited by B25Modelman

Interesting topic. Our local RFD once told me that he finds it peculiar that when he has amassed a number of guns which have consistently failed to sell even at discounted prices, he will enter them in auctions where they very very often sell for higher sale prices than they were priced at when they were in the shop! Just an observation.